Can not access Active Directory shares on the NAS from Windows XP clients

I’ve got a MyCloud EX4100 unit joined to my Windows Server 2003 active directory. After a lot of fuss, I’ve finally stumbled onto this article ID 11882 which helped me to understand how to setup security. However, I’m still running into problems, most likely with the way Samba is configured on your device.

Specifically I’ve been able to connect to a share which was setup for AD users from the Windows Server 2003 itself, some Windows 7 boxes and from a Samba 4 smbclient (Linux box). I’ve NOT been able to connect from my Windows XP boxes, which I’ll be using for another year.

I’ve been able to do it via hack. I connected to the NAS via SSH and then edited the /etc/samba/smb.conf file to contain these two lines:

lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes

If one does not change the NAS config from web admin, this change fixes the issue, I’m now able to use the share from XP boxes. However this is clearly a hack. And if something goes wrong I’ll possibly lose my office data.

I’ve opened a case with WD but support to be on the slow side, no word yet apart from the automated reply. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.

Hello carmik,

I would suggest you to contact WD support again for the resolution of this issue.

Refer the information provided below for contact details.

I’ve already contacted WD support for the matter, but they’ve not helped at all. I’ve found a workaround invlolving a group policy in XP.