Active Directory - Cannot Access Shares

Hello!

Recently I hooked up my WD EX 4100 to my MS Active Directory, and at first it was working great! I had added some shares and assigned users permissions to read and/or write to the different shares, it was nice.

But then, I needed to add more shares and assign more users permissions to read and/or write to them. Except this time, they can’t access them though SMB! The strange thing is that users can still access the other shares I had set up in the past (few weeks ago I guess?)! The ONLY thing different that happened this time, to my knowledge is: some passage of time, and the fact that the EX 4100 had restarted (normally I may add).

I’m pretty sure I know what a domain name is, a user name is, what a SMB is, etc. And Like I said, the older shares can still be accessed fine and correctly (over SMB). I can also access the new shares just fine locally (from the EX4100 computer), and of course over SFTP. SSH is already enabled.

In my attempt to fix it, I’ve restarted samba, nmbd, and the whole ex4100 several times (to no avail), but I’ve made no other changes to my knowledge. Please help! Thank you :slight_smile:

@WestAir,

Firstly congrats on having a WD EX4100 that performed a normal reboot instead of a “crash” reboot. You must be one of the lucky ones.

The EX4100 uses a pretty standard Samba implementation, and there is a configuration file in /etc/samba/smb.conf that is created based on the settings that are configured via the dashboard. It may be worth reviewing that file and see if anything in there looks out of place in relation to access to the shares configurations. It might also be worth checking the actual owner and group ownership on the files contained within these shares. This may be been setup for anonymous access originally and with the change to named users and groups it could be that the group ownership at least may need to be changed.

Good luck.

JediNite