Can i transfer data "without" internet with my clod?

i want to buy my cloud product but my question:

if i want to transfer data without internet for some reason , can i?

via the etherner?
via usb?

1 Like

Of course you can transfer data to the My Cloud without an internet connection. The My Cloud is a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. It connects to your local network via an Ethernet cable. You cannot connect a computer to the USB port on the My Cloud. The My Cloud is NOT a external USB hard drive. The USB port on the My Cloud is used for expanding the storage by adding an external USB hard drive and for backing up the My Cloud contents to a USB drive attached to that USB port.

If you are interested in buying the My Cloud you should really read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) to gain a better understanding of what the My Cloud is, what its features are, and how to configure/use those features.

1 Like

You may want to check this out too. My Cloud ā”‚ How it Works.

thank you very much

im going to buy it now :wink:

Do you want a NAS, though? Or just a USB HDD?

Ask yourself these questions:

Do I need a file server that is always on, and available to any device on my network?
Do I need a media server that is always on, and available to any device on my network?

If the answer to both of these questions is ā€˜noā€™, you may be better off with a simple HDD.

I want a nas , that exactly what ia want
But i asked my question just for case to know every thing about it

I have two 4TB my cloud drives in different locations, but neither functions when the internet connection goes down, and the blue light turns white. I use routers with DNLA (I think) that makes the local area network. Do I need to reconfigure something through the dashboard to be able to access the mycloud device when the internet connection is lost? Thanks a lot

If you havenā€™t already read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) you may want to take some time to read through it to gain an understanding of how the My Cloud works and its features.

Its important to make the distinction between a broadband (Internet) connection and a local area network (LAN) connection. They are generally two separate networks. If your broadband connection goes down, generally the local area network stays up and active allowing all LAN devices like the My Cloud to communicate and access each other.

Generally one can continue to access a My Cloud on the local network if oneā€™s broadband connection goes down. One shouldnā€™t have to make any changes on the Dashboard if oneā€™s broadband connection goes down.

However, when a My Cloudā€™s broadband connection goes down, it will generally be impossible to remotely access that My Cloud from the Interenet until the broadband connection comes back on line.

Thanks for responding Bennor. I read the user manual before I purchased my 2 X My Cloud 4TB, and understood it to be as you say, but in both locations where I have the units and different broadband providers and routers, it has always been the case that no broadband = no my cloud. As it is rare that the broadband connection is down, I have just lived with the situation. I just saw an opportunity to clarify the matter, but thanks anyway as it least it seems now that the problem is not with WD equipment.

When a My Cloud is connected to a router; if the broadband goes down the router typically should continue to function and the My Cloud should still be accessible to all devices on the local network.

If one is using MyCloud.com to access their My Cloud from the local network, then that would be a problem if the broadband connection goes down. While on the local network one should be using Windows File Explorer and or Mac Finder to access their My Cloud (or the WD mobile apps on their mobile devices). To make things easier one can ā€œmapā€ the My Cloud to their computer. See the My Cloud User Manual for more information on mapping a Share, or see the following links:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=2676

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=2686

thanks again Bennor, much appreciated

For anyone using Google and finding this thread today I just want to warn you. What Bennor is saying is VERY wrong. You need internet access to use the My Cloud as the device authenticates through the WD server. There is no way to access the drives without internet access.

@AnnoyedUser1
Please note that this discussion (see first post that started this discussion) deals with accessing a My Cloud WITHOUT having internet access. The first post asks if they can access a My Cloud via Ethernet or USB. Note that this subforum, My Cloud, is generally for the single bay/single drive My Cloud (not the My Cloud Home or the multi bay My Cloud models).

@AnnoyedUser1, Do you even have a single bay/single drive My Cloud? Have you ever tried accessing a local network single bay/single drive My Cloud without a broadband connection, or even when it is directly connected to your computer? Did you know WD even has a knowledgebase article detailing how to access the My Cloud Dashboard when the My Cloud is directly connected to a computer?

Did you know that if you Google search for My Cloud Connect Directly to a Computer there are videos showing a user how to do so?

For remote access to a single bay/single drive My Cloud, one will need broadband access. For local network access to a single bay/single drive My Cloud, or even connecting a single bay/single drive My Cloud directly to a computer, one does not need broadband access.

I have NO PROBLEMS accessing a first gen single bay My Cloud (or any of my other NAS boxes) on a local network when there is no internet access. At most I may have to use the My Cloud IP address rather than itā€™s name. For example, if I turn off the My Cloud. Pull the internet connection to my router. Boot the My Cloud back up without internet, the My Cloud Dashboard indicates No Internet Access. I can still access the My Cloud Shares.

I have to apologize Bennor. I was looking up the My Cloud Duo with Google and I didnā€™t notice it brought me to a thread tagged for the My Cloud. Iā€™ve never used a My Could and canā€™t comment on if it works. Itā€™s the My Cloud Duo which needs internet and thatā€™s my mistake I should have double checked what thread I was in.

Note there is no such thing as a ā€œMy Cloud Duoā€. There is a My Cloud Home Duo which is a completely different device. The My Cloud Home line of devices is separate product line with a different operating system and some different options/features than the My Cloud product line. There is a completely separate subforum for the My Cloud Home line of devices with a specific subforum for the My Cloud Home Duo.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7758

It should also be noted that the My Cloud Home line of devices was introduced upwards of a year later than the initial posting to start this discussion, and the last post in 2016; before this thread was revived 4 years later.

As I said Iā€™m sorry, it was my mistake. I also know bumping a 4 year old thread is generally bad form but I did so because this thread was a major factor in me buying the My Cloud Home Duo since it comes up in Google when looking up the My Cloud Home Duo.

To be clear the My Cloud Home Duo is a terrible NAS and should not be bought by someone wanting a person NAS. The My Cloud Home on the other hand may be a real NAS product (I have no experience with it). The near identical naming is confusing for two apparently vastly different products. While I am upset with WD for this I am apologetic to you as I was certainly in the wrong on this thread.

It isnā€™t. The My Cloud Home is similar to the My Cloud Home Duo with one drive (and one USB 3.0 port) rather than two.