Can I backup my desktop computer to My Cloud Home?

One of the main reasons I purchased My Cloud Home was to back up other computers on my home network. I have installed the drive on my network and it is recognized by Windows Explorer [as Joshua’s My Cloud Home (Z:)] and I can store files on it. but I can’t get backup software to work. I installed WD Discovery and then WD Backup. When I run WD Backup it identifies my DropBox account as a potential target for backup storage, but it does not identify the My Cloud Home drive. I then downloaded the installation file for Acronis True Image WD Edition (Version 18), but it does not install the program, apparently because it cannot identify that a WD drive is installed on the network. Is this some kind of issue with network permissions that I need to fix or does is this network drive incapable of being a target for backing up my computer?

1 Like

WD Backup is for My Passport and My Book DAS Only.
Windows FIle History, Acronis True Image (none WD Edition) and any other Windows SMB based software can backup to the MyCloud-XXXXX/Public network share in Windows. You do not and cannot put the backup data in the Joshua’s My Cloud Home (Z:)]

1 What do you mean by “MyCloud-XXXXX/Public network share?”

2 If neither WD Backup nor Acronis WD edition will work with My Cloud Home, why does Western Digital include specific links to those programs in the WD Discovery App that is downloaded as part of the My Cloud Home setup and in the support document (ID 20103) entitled “How to backup a Windows or macOS computer to a My Cloud Home?”

3 Is there a WD network drive that is better suited for backing up computers on a personal network?

1 Like

What do you mean WD Staff,

That doesn’t make any sense? what’s the point of WD or Acronis if it doesn’t back up to the Josh’s Drive Z ?

some of us aren’t tech savvy

1 Like

@grant16v This KBA should help.

• The MyCloud-XXXX/Public is a Windows Samba Network Share, most network backup software use Windows Samba.
  • [Josh’s Drive Z] is not Windows Samba and is a Network Mounted Drive (not a share) most backup software cannot see this Network Drive because it’s not mounted using Samba
  • WD Backup is a My Passport / My Book (DAS) software
  • Acronis WD Edition requires a WD Internal drive

Hi again,

just spent most of the day trying to sort out my cloud home, as i said it shows up as a “Z” drive, but i can’t save anything to it, in the end i gave up and upgraded to Aronis 2018, as they told me it would solve the problem.
However, after they offered to install the software and configure it for me,
They couldn’t get it to work either even after 4 hours, we managed to set it up to a point, but when backing up to it, the process stops working after 1 to 2 minutes.

any ideas on how i can use this for backing up would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Golffie

Use the //MyCloud-XXXXXX/Public share like in the image below.

If Acronis, does not see it…read this KBA

It doesn’t give me that option, it doesn’t see it? and after giving Acronis 3 hours controlled access they couldn’t get it to work either

I think i’ll try phoning, so someone can talk me through it, i’m guessing you have a UK helpline

It’s about as useful as Anne Frank’s drum kit. It’s not a NAS at all

1 Like

I can backup files from pc to Z: unit using FreeFileSync.

The ONLY PROBLEM is that copied files lose the date and time attributes. So the copy is always full. Only modified doesn’t work.

If I copy files using windows explorer the problem sometimes appears too. Date and time modification of files is changed to date and time when te copy is made.

Have given up! taken back to PC World and got a refund (they were Brilliant) not the first they’ve had back so i was told.

WD intro on website:
Plenty of space to keep photos, videos and files from all your phones, tablets, computers and external storage devices, in one place at home. Just plug it into your Wi-Fi router and use your smartphone to set up. No computer necessary. No monthly fee required.
I too can only see the Dropbox option to backup a laptop! Doesn’t seem to be playing by “My rules” I have many incarnations of these NAS drives and had my share of networking them since Windows 8 came into existence… this is BS that I can see EVERY other device on my network. How do I get Win 8.1 File history to do a backup? No drives are detected from the Laptop side of the equation!

It is still unusable as a backup drive.

WD should be clear:
My Cloud cannot be used for Backup! The Backup App offered by the My Cloud App is unusable with MyCloud!

Now why WD have decided to do this bizarre thing I have no idea, but anyone reading this should be clear that they have no intention of enabling My Cloud as a backup device. If you want something like that you are better off using almost anything else.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. This is a Western Digital screw-up and will eventually add yet another class action against the company.
The once king of the backup hill will go the way of the floppy drive.

I have the same problem and hours wasted on the setup.
When I see “WD staff” response here I understand why this is so bad. They even could not explain and walk you through it.
I made mistake and bought this without reading reviews. I guess I am going for a refund.