Can EX4100 query Network UPS Tools (NUT) server for UPS status

The EX4100 can query some specific networked UPS devices so the NAS can will shut down before the UPS battery drains.

NUT is a standard system that can can present UPS status for non-networked UPS. (UPS connected by USB to a server box, server box queries UPS and presents a network service that returns UPS status.) NUT clients can use the net interface to query UPS status.

My EX4100 doesn’t appear to like talking to my NUT server. It’s possible that I need some different configuration on the server side.

Has anyone made this work?

Hi @dwillcox,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hello, bot. Yes, 221204-000624.

For the record, in case anyone else runs into this…

With the help of Wireshark, I discovered if I just rename my UPS in my NUT server to “usbhid” (that’s the name the EX4100 looks for) the NAS is quite happy talking to it.

I tested it out, pulled the plug on my UPS. The EX4100 turned its power light red, displayed “On Battery Power,” and sent me a warning email.

I didn’t wait for the battery to run down enough for the NAS to shut down. I don’t know what the NAS’s threshold is, and it would have taken hours. But since the NAS dashboard showed the decreasing power, I’m confident it would have worked.

Since NUT is a standard protocol, I surmise that any UPS that NUT knows how to talk to would work, even if the EX4100 wouldn’t handle it as the master. But clearly I don’t have the resources to test that supposition.