Calling all Linux App developers – My Cloud EX4 SDK

Hello!

So  we’re excited to be launching our My Cloud EX4 and more importantly, launching our Linux platform we’re going to be developing on. 

As a part of our strategy, we’ve got support for Linux apps – we’re going to publish some we’ve made but we’ve also got an SDK available.  If you’ve got an app and you’d like it to run on the My Cloud EX family of NAS’s (errr Personal Cloud Storage), please send an email to:

developer@wdc.com

We’re working on a new portal to make this process easier – I’ll look forward to updating you all on that as we get a bit closer.   If you have any questions, feel free…

Thanks,

MB

Since this is a LInux platform, can this EX4 read Drives that were used in other WD NAS. Specifically from Mybook World Blue rings?

Example: I buy a 0TB configuration EX4. Put my Raid drive from my old MyBook World Blue rings so I can recover the data on the drive?

Thanks.

It can read other drives, but not keep the raid configuration from another product. The RAID would need to be built using the EX4 software.

Thanks Tony,

Just to be clear. I don’t need to format the drive to Raid. I just need to read the existing information (from MyBook World blue rings) and copy it to another drive.

So, if I understand you correctly. I can insert one drive from MyBook World it in the Ex4 and it will recognize the data written by the MyBook World Blue so I can copy?

That scenario is not supported. It will not recognize a drive written in another RAID format. It has to be formatted with the OS on the EX4. Sorry!

Ok, thank you for confirming.

Just wanted to confirm:

If the hardware that was supporting that old disk drive goes bad and we want to recover the data stored on that disk drive, what are the options?

Let’s say EX4 hardware has a failure and we need to get access to the data stored on its disk drives what are the optons?

Thanks,

K_K__ wrote:

Just wanted to confirm:

If the hardware that was supporting that old disk drive goes bad and we want to recover the data stored on that disk drive, what are the options?

Let’s say EX4 hardware has a failure and we need to get access to the data stored on its disk drives what are the optons?

Thanks,

After a rediculous amount of searching I have found a solution to my “Hardware Enclosure” problem. I found a windows based program which allows viewing and copying of the files on the (Linux) Raid drive.

Here is a link to the article and software choices: http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

I have successfully used DiskInternals Linux Reader   to retrieve my files from the disk.

I think WD should at least provide the link as a possible solution to this catastrophic failure of their Hardware (not the drives) if not provide similar software to recover files and not just tell us we need to spend $$$ from a service to recover the data. That is completely false information on WD’s part. Shame on them.

Bye the way: The article might be a bit confusing but YOU DO NOT need a dual boot system. Just install the software but make sure your drive is connected and running.

Give it a shot K_K you can’t mess anything up.

Peace

Ok, so just pop the disk into a usb enclosure and have the software installed to read linux partitions to get access to the files, yes?

I’m assuming it preserves all the directory structures as they were originally within a working system!

Many thanks for the confirmation.