Before you RMA your Device ... let's talk about your problems!

yup… WD My Cloud is the first product (other than Microsoft Windows) to receive my full attention for days/weeks/months on end; in fact it is coming up 2 years since I bought my first Cloud. However now that I’ve managed to pacify the device, it is a great little device that requires very little maintenance until the next firmware upgrade.

If you want WD full attention you should re-post your post in the forum instead of this thread where they may or may not see it.

I do agree that the device seems to provide great features and I don’t doubt that it’s a good product. My problem is basically one of educating new customers like myself on the practical use of it. A lot of the replies on my post provided a great explanation of the problem with the user’s guide as well as educating the general public. After reading some of the comments, I’m pretty sure I pushed around to many buttons using all the applications provided, and the device was not able to understand what I was doing. As a person who learned about personal cloud storage last week, I couldn’t even call support since I wasn’t able to come up with specific questions or identify the problems. Once the user’s guide is updated for newbies like myself, then I’m sure the product will live up to my expectations. For now, I will try other products with information I can digest.

What I meant was that I agree with you that the product is an absolute disaster in the way it performs, the user interface was written by a kid out of high school (really seriously). There are no Quality checks before they release a new firmware. Version 3.04 locks you out of the drive disallowing you to SSH into it. OS 3 will not recognize certain USB drives and it still locks the unit when you attach a USB drive full of files. There are no useable user manuals.

I spent the last two years on this device, fighting with it. The last software that I had this much problems was Microsoft Windows.

2 Likes

The problems one will have with the My Cloud is directly related to how they use it. Normally and generally I don’t have any problems with the unit using Windows 7, several android devices, and several Roku devices. Its when I attempt to use certain features (like the USB port) is where problems start. Have a family member who uses a My Cloud as well and they don’t have any problems with theirs as far as I know.

Whether WD wants to hear it or not, the firmware is a mess. The Dashboard is a mess. The Twonky/Dashboard integration or lack of integration is a mess. Like Ralphael said it seems like the firmware was written by high schoolers. There are several long documented problems with the media scanning. Several long documented problems with the USB implementation on the device. The firmware issues are fixable, unknown if the USB implementation is fixable through firmware or is a hardware problem.

1 Like

Hello, I just received the My Cloud but live on an island with only a portable modem. Therefore I cannot plug in the ethernet cable into a hard landline and the modem device does not have an applicable socket either. Does this mean I cannot use the my Cloud device? Please help. I waited ages for this and was so excited. I am sick of sales talk which always say, “just plug it in and go”.

The My Cloud is designed to be plugged into the networking port on a router (or switch/hub) on the local network using an Ethernet cable. In a pinch the My Cloud can be directly connected by Ethernet cable to the computer’s network port but one looses the ability for other network devices to access the My Cloud when it is directly connected to a computer rather than a router. But normally one connects the My Cloud to their network router (or wifi router).

If you have not already done so you may want to take some time to read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) which explains how to set up the device and the various options and features of the device.

Thank you very much Bennor. Unfortunately, my modem does not have a socket for the cable provided (indeed has no external sockets). I tried connecting directly into the back of the computer which is wifi enabled but that did not work either. I did not buy the device for the Cloud function, but more of a convenient back up to all my apple devices. Thank you for your time and links. Appreciate it although did not help. Kind regards, Tea

You can connect the My Cloud direct to the computer. You may have to disable or adjust WiFi settings in order to do so however. Some computer WiFi adapters will not allow the computer Ethernet port to operate while WiFi is enabled. Some WiFi adapters come with software that will switch the network connection from WiFi to Ethernet port when it detects an Ethernet port connection.

The trick to using a direct Ethernet connection to the computer with the My Cloud is to ensure both the Ethernet port on the computer and the My Cloud are using IP addresses in the same subnet. generally a device will default to an IP address in the 169.xx.xx.xx subnet range when there is no DHCP server present and no static IP has been set.

See the following link which discusses how to setup a Mac to have both WiFi and Ethernet active at the same time.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/142482/set-mac-to-use-wifi-for-internet-ethernet-for-local-file-transfer

1 Like

To be fair to WD, the requirement for an Ethernet cable connection is pretty clear, and nowhere does it claim to be accessible by WiFi. If you only have a WiFi access modem, you won’t be able to connect your MyCloud directly to it; you don’t have anything to ‘plug it in and go’…

Using a WiFi to Ethernet extender, you ought to be able to create a wired access point. You will need to figure out where in the system to position any router function

If you have a RJ45 (Ethernet) connection to your laptop you should be able to connect your MC. You may have to go thru network setup to get the Ethernet connection working.
Once connected you should be able to share the MC to other device on the network. But the transfer rate will be slower over the WIFI connection.

RAC

I’ve the same problem since installing the update. Tried powering off, then on a few minutes later. I just get no device found on your network.

Hi guys!
Today I`ve got a brick in my WD Cloud 3Tb version.
In progress of firmware update in gui, catch a trouble, while updating.

Now, I dont have access in web gui - only unlimited loading. Dont have ssh or ftp access - time out of connection.

Thanks WD for perfect firmware updating process.

Guys, do you have any advice for what I can do now? Can I resolve this issue by myself?

You do just plug it in and go, but you have to own the socket to plug it into in the first place. It’s like buying a TV when you don’t have electricity and blaming the sales pitch for not telling you you needed electricity. What did you think it was? I mean it’s a NAS, network attached storage, sort of gives it away really, you need a network to plug it into. It’s probably best to do a bit of research before you buy stuff, and if you don’t, you shouldn’t blame the sales pitch for what is you own mistake

1 Like

I think your reply is intended for Tea_Clougher…

Sorry man my bad, well whoever said it wasn’t plug an play.

Just arrived, 3TB MyCloud.
So I am close to 48 hours waiting with the blinking white/yellow light.
I read that this may be a fsck, but it should not take this long, even on a 3TB drive.
Especially when some cheeky response about waiting 2 years…
Gotta be RMA time.

will WDC really RMA a drive after two years? Mine died after about a year and no offer from WDC for RMA. Who did you talk to?

From the User Manual:

Limited Warranty
WD warrants that the Product, in the course of its normal use, will for the term defined below, be free from defects in material and workmanship and will conform to WD’s specification therefor. The term of your limited warranty depends on the country in which your Product was purchased. The term of your limited warranty is for 2 years in the North, South and Central America region, 2 years in the Europe, the Middle East and Africa region, and 2 years in the Asia Pacific region, unless otherwise required by law. The term of your limited warranty period shall commence on the purchase date appearing on your purchase receipt. WD may at its discretion make extended warranties available for purchase. WD shall have no liability for any Product returned if WD determines that the Product was stolen from WD or that the asserted defect a) is not present, b) cannot reasonably be rectified because of damage occurring before WD receives the Product, or c) is attributable to misuse, improper installation, alteration (including removing or obliterating labels and opening or removing external enclosures, unless the product is on the list of limited user-serviceable products and the specific alteration is within the scope of the applicable instructions, as found at http://support.wd.com), accident or mishandling while in the possession of someone other than WD. Subject to the limitations specified above, your sole and exclusive warranty shall be, during the period of warranty specified above and at WD’s option, the repair or replacement of the Product with an equivalent or better Product.

wow, the CS rep didn’t even offer to replace the drive.

Is your My Cloud still under warranty? If not then it should be no surprise that WD won’t replace the drive for free. Have you started an online case yet?

Note the following links are all found on the WD Support website under Warranty & Returns.

http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/warrantyPolicy.aspx

http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/dataRecovery.aspx

Product Replacement (RMA): https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/

When dealing with any customer service a lot depends on what you tell or say to the CS drone. Often they are reading from a script. Getting angry or frustrated with them doesn’t help even through its understandable. If they sense your anger/frustration they may simply get you off the phone as soon as possible and move on to the next caller. (Edit to add: Having unrealistic expectations and then demanding the CS drone adhere to those unrealistic expectations is another sure fire way to get hustled off the call as quick as possible.) Many times one has to request to be kicked up to the next level of support.

1 Like