Backup - OneDrive Folder

WD Support advised me that WD Backup and WD Smarware are unable to backup documents that are saved to OneDrive folder on hard drive of laptop. Please submit a request to WD’s Development Team to add an enhancement to WD Backup and WD Smartware to enable backup of documents stored in OneCloud folder since that is folder that enables users to sync their files with OneDrive cloud account.

I have been using WD backup and WD Smartware to backup my OneDrive folders for the past 2 years. WD has apparently not kept up with Microsoft updates and are now excusing it by saying that the OneDrive is not supported. WD needs to do a better job keeping their software current with Microsoft updates.

Is this still the case? I noticed that WD Elements and WD Smartware don’t see OneDrive folder. However they detect Google Drive and Dropbox. This is very very very very annoying.

1 Like

After updating to Windows Version 17.3.7301.0404 on April 5, 2018, settings in OneDrive on my computer switched to enable OneDrive’s “Files on Demand” feature. This feature frees up space on hard drive by keeping files in your OneDrive folder online rather than on computer. WD Smartware is unable to backup files unless they are stored locally on your computer. Solution is to open One Drive settings on your computer to disable OneDrive’s Files on Demand feature. For more info, see following article:

Thank you for your answer.

Is there no other way to solve this problem. If not:

a) My computer doesn’t have enough space on the disc to download rest of the files (I have now on the computer some 600 GB of OneDrive files on OneDrive total 800 GB of files.

b) My wd backup disc doesn’t have enough space to make backup of the new files.

I would be happy just to get a backup of the files that are now downloaded on my computer.

Best regards

Martti

I completely agree. Why Onedrive is not supoported?. Commercial reassons?