Avoiding a hard reboot - Web UI not available and can't connect to WD My Cloud

One reason why the WD My Cloud UI becomes unresponsive or slow is scanning and cataloging media (pictures, video, music) files. If you have a large amount of media files it is not unheard of for the WD My Cloud to take hours (sometimes days) to scan and catalogue all the files. This media scanning/cataloging may potentially happen every time you boot or restart the WD My Cloud. One solution is to stop the “/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd” and “/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd” services. See this link for more information on how to disable those two services.

On the issue of issuing SSH commands to reboot, shutdown and reboot, or simply shutdown, there are previous threads discussing various ways to issue commands via batch files and scripts via SSH to control WD My Cloud actions. I use a a batch file (.bat) and an app (the free SSH Button) on my Android smartphone to send SSH commands to the WD My Cloud to shut it down when I don’t plan on using it for a long period of time.

The proper command (when logged into SSH) to do an immediate shutdown and reboot is: “/sbin/shutdown -r now”. Or one can shutdown and power off by issuing the command “/sbin/shutdown -h -P now”, or by issuing the command “/sbin/poweroff”.

2 Likes