Avoid new update!

Terrible!!  I do nothing fancy with the Hub, no playing around with themes or metadata, etc.  Since updating  yesterday the Hub reboots right in the middle of watching movies that are on the internal drive.  Also it’s constantly Compiling Media for minutes at a time.  Something it never did before.  Last night i had to unplug the unit 4 times because it froze and remote became unresponsive.

I love this thing and it’s been pretty useable since I bought it in January, but why Western Digital would release software that doesn fix current bugs and majorly screws up the simple things, is beyond me.  I used to have to unplug because of unresponsive remote only about once a week.  This morning it’s already rebooted once since turning it on.

Now I get to roll back to previous version of firmware and hope all my movies and setting remain the same.  C’mon guys.  Fix it!!

Have you tried resetting the hub via the bottom paperclip button. Press for a couple of seconds and then release with the unit fully booted up. You could also unplug from power for some minutes. 

I realise that this update has perhaps not worked well for you but don’t assume that we all have your problem. I have updated and have none of your problems. I agree that WD should be fixing bugs instead of adding new toys.

I had done that numerous times.  I decided to roll back to previous firmware and all was well again.  Basically for all that I use it for I’m missing the updated Netflix UI, which was so much better.  But the trade off is a much more stable piece of hardware that doesnt just decide to reboot its self or lockup.

I don’t feel bad about warning other people about it, I’m sure it’s worked great for many.  It’s just crazy that all of us need to be so nervous everytime a new version is released.   If I had to do that everytime a computer operating system had a update I’d go nuts!

The fact that you havent had issues should be a warning flag for many.  We all have the same hardware with only so many ways to set it up…which is basically what wires to plug into it and where do they get plugged into.   A piece of software written by the company that makes the hardware should not be so squirrelly that some have no issues and others have major problems.  I’m glad yours still works but looking over this forum shows me many people are having trouble.  I just don’t see the reason.   It’s not 1000’s of homebuilt systems we all have, no one is swapping out video cards or cpu’s…it’s just one fairly simple piece of hardware that we all have without user modifications.

Very sloppy on WD’s end.

1 Like

abfitch wrote:

I had done that numerous times.  I decided to roll back to previous firmware and all was well again.  Basically for all that I use it for I’m missing the updated Netflix UI, which was so much better.  But the trade off is a much more stable piece of hardware that doesnt just decide to reboot its self or lockup.

I don’t feel bad about warning other people about it, I’m sure it’s worked great for many.  It’s just crazy that all of us need to be so nervous everytime a new version is released.   If I had to do that everytime a computer operating system had a update I’d go nuts!

The fact that you havent had issues should be a warning flag for many.  We all have the same hardware with only so many ways to set it up…which is basically what wires to plug into it and where do they get plugged into.   A piece of software written by the company that makes the hardware should not be so squirrelly that some have no issues and others have major problems.  I’m glad yours still works but looking over this forum shows me many people are having trouble.  I just don’t see the reason.   It’s not 1000’s of homebuilt systems we all have, no one is swapping out video cards or cpu’s…it’s just one fairly simple piece of hardware that we all have without user modifications.

Very sloppy on WD’s end.

Sure these forums show people having problems. Thats what the forum is for. People who don’t have problems hardly ever post in forums. To quote another user this forum is like a hospital you only see people who are ill. That does not mean that everybody is ill. However as I said WD should concentrate on fixing the bugs so there are less ‘ill’ users’ and more importantly make sure they don’t correct one thing and introduce half a dozen new bugs.

i am having the very same problem anf i just bought the unit the other day very very disapointed

But that’s part of my point…we all have the same body (WD Live HUB)!   In real life different bodies have different immune systems, life styles, etc.  therefore different illnesses.   But with the HUB, it’s all the same.  Same body.  There shouldnt be these issues everytime WD decides to update the firmware.  All our HUBs have the some mobo, same chips, same everything!

I realize that most forums only show the complaints and I’m happy for those lucky enough that the update works.  But why are some lucky and others of us have issues.  We all have the same hardware.

I’ll just wait and hope WD puts a tad more effort into the next update.   Overall the HUB has been a pleasent experiencet but it’s just sloppy that these issues  pop up everytime they write new software.  And if issues do pop up then they should be fixed, not added onto other previous bugs.

If a competitor comes up with something  like the HUB with solid updates and good hardware…watch out WD!

WD support seems to take the same “don’t use 2.05.08” stance. Here’s a message I received from tech support in response to questions I had about 2 bugs I’ve been experiencing with the Netflix app:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is [deleted].

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will be happy to help you. At this point I would suggest you to rollback firmware to the previous version that was working properly for you. For instructions on how to rollback the firmware on a WD TV Live Hub please click on the link bellow:

Answer Title: How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live Hub Media Center
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

They are not taking the ‘don’t use’ stance. They are simply saying that in your case perhaps you should rollback. I agree with Tony’s reply to one of your other posts that this is a WD cop-out but there again we don’t have a lot of faith in WD’s technical support. They seem to say anything that comes to mind. One of the reasons that users come here is because there is better advice given by people who actually have the units instead of people who are in it just for the job.

I note that in your own case the two problems have been overcome so there appears to be no need for you to rollback.

Heheh…  And the WD tech support folks often tell people that, too:   “Go the forums and look for help there.”

abfitch wrote:

Terrible!!  I do nothing fancy with the Hub, no playing around with themes or metadata, etc.  Since updating  yesterday the Hub reboots right in the middle of watching movies that are on the internal drive.  Also it’s constantly Compiling Media for minutes at a time.  Something it never did before.  Last night i had to unplug the unit 4 times because it froze and remote became unresponsive.

I love this thing and it’s been pretty useable since I bought it in January, but why Western Digital would release software that doesn fix current bugs and majorly screws up the simple things, is beyond me.  I used to have to unplug because of unresponsive remote only about once a week.  This morning it’s already rebooted once since turning it on.

Now I get to roll back to previous version of firmware and hope all my movies and setting remain the same.  C’mon guys.  Fix it!!

I sent you a PM

i do have the same problem tho only mkv stop in the middle of it then reboot i just roll’d back to the previous update…

I have the same problem with one of my Hubs exactly as you describe but never updated to the latest frimware so Possibly could have been the previous/previous firmware that’s caused the problem?

I’ve done so many resets etc and it just re-boots itself then seems to do a complete re-complile for about 20-30 mins very annoying. WD support is poor in the UK as they don’t work after 17:00 and don’t work weekends either so to speak to support I’d have to take time off work!!! I could email them but I experienced email support before and it’s diabolocal at best.

All is well since rolling back to previous firmware.