Firmware Version 3.00.28 Excelent! no problems updating

Hello,

I got my WB last week and before i did anything to it, i upgrade it the firmware. Im having no problems at all with any files, or audio as ive seen lot of members complaining here.

Also the metadata is working fine with 99.99% on the movies and series. Can’t be move satisfied about this product. Thanks WD!!

Had played .ts files, avi, mkv, mpg, mp4, most of them with 5.1 dolby digital or ACC, no problem.

This is what i did, i installed the newest firmware and i did a reset on the Hub, manually on the front button pressing it 10 seconds. That’s it.!

Hope this helps to any of you! :smiley:

1 Like

Good, now that you’ve found a firmware version that works for you then don’t update :wink:

This is a pretty crappy place to have spent your “hit the lottery” moment.

Have to agree with ThePizzaMatrix.

This device doesn’t give do-overs. There is no factory reset. Once you have problems, you have problems. And rolling back the firmware doesn’t seem to correct everything. Not sure if there is some baseband beign updated by some firmware updates or what. But I am left with residue every time I have to roll back. Room mate also has one and has similar problems. If it really works 100% for you, upgrade at your own peril.

And if you have only checked video, give it a while. You will find something that doesn’t work. :smileyvery-happy:

Way to go to motivate all members to express their experience in updating the device. What i wrote was my experience. So i just think is fair that people know.

Great comunity…

1 Like

Well, mine worked pretty well too with the latest firmware. I like the fact that they fixed the Subtitle and Audio on-the-fly with remote – and it shows the language/audio as you scroll through. Couple of small issues that I’m still facing are:

1.) Netflix doesn’t ‘preview’ when FWD or RWD, the little frames go blank as I move on, but comes back if I rewind back to where I started. Keep forwarding and you’ll see.

2.) I can’t seem to find a way to get the movie poster thumbs to show up next to the files, they only show a full screen picture slide preview with synopsis which I don’t want, switching views to all other file formats just shows the file folders with names but no image.

Other than that, I’m pretty happy with it, let’s just hope they’ll address the issues and PRAY that no new one will arise.

I’m also pretty happy with the latest firmware 3.x before this 2.07.17 was also pretty stable i only had the problem there that the photo screensaver caused the audio from Internet services or my own music to stop but that is fixed in this firmware.

I’m playing various (720p) movies, tv series in formats such as mkv, avi, mp4 and they work perfectly. I dont have ts files.

Also the Internet services Shoutcast, TuneIn Radio work very nice. It could be a bit quicker but all in all ok.

A few minors flaws:

* this latest firmware has automatic get metadata feature but unfortunately it does not download the movie .jpg thumbnail but only the .xml for movie description and background images

* since i used the WDTV there is a bug in the Internet service Flingo that when you start it up you get all kinds of video services such as TED and TMZ but they are on different pages. If you go down on 1 page and want to go to the right it does not respond it seems as if the bottom row cannot be skipt. You have to use the row of video services above that to go to the right.

“this latest firmware has automatic get metadata feature but unfortunately it does not download the movie .jpg thumbnail but only the .xml for movie description and background images”

Thanks for pointing this out pacorob… i just realized this last night.  I couldn’t figure out why any of my new movies appeared to have all the proper metadata from the get info option but the cover art is missing then i noteiced the .jpg file was never generated.  Just as you described.   

It should be naming them “.metathumb” instead of “.jpg.”

Hi Tony…all i get is:

1. Movie.backdrop

2. Movie.xml

3. Movie.metathumb

If i add a Movie.jpg then the cover art appears instead of a plain folder.

Yeah, I mistyped.   .metathumb is correct, not .metadata.

How do I get the thumbs to show, what do I have to do exactly?

have to name the movies with the year, so it can be more accurate.

IE:The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)

The year is important because maybe there’s a nother movie with the same name but diferent year.

The Get Content Info function will download the backdrops if available as well as the folder thumbnail pic in full screen mode but the cover art that appears in the file folder view will not appear.  To get that to appear you have to place a jpg image file with the exact same name as your movie using the .jpg extension in the folder with the .xml and metathumb files.

I think the key phrase is: “I got my WB last week…”. You have nothing to compare it to. Everyone who moans about the firmware updates are previous users who both, have lost functionality they were used to with their previous version, and disappointed that the new upgrade doesn’t address problems or contain new functions from their wishlist.

Face it, familiarity breeds contempt.

It could be, but since is new, and since i did the update, i tried everything that is posible and looking at all the problems i had none.

My TS files play well, and everything else. Also… i did a hard reset after i applied the new firmware. Perhaps you are right and im new at this, but then again, i don’t have any of the problems that most members are suffering off.

:wink:

I consider myself fortunate that I haven’t had any problems playing videos, and I use all of them-DVD, m2ks, iso, mpeg4-name it, I’ve got it. No problem with music files. No sound problems, no freezing-nothing. The only problems I have are with the visual aspects of the user interface-namely showing graphics with whatever user created theme I’m using at the moment. I’ve upgraded the firmware twice and each time I had issues with the themes and or graphics. The graphic interface is important to me, and I hate the default theme, so I roll back to a version that works for the themes I load. I dream of the day when WD adds some different choices of themes.

peaje wrote:

It could be, but since is new, and since i did the update, i tried everything that is possible and looking at all the problems i had none.

My TS files play well, and everything else. Also… i did a hard reset after i applied the new firmware. Perhaps you are right and im new at this, but then again, i don’t have any of the problems that most members are suffering off.

:wink:

I have suffered through a lot of the previous firmware versions, but I’m pretty happy with this latest version. The number of bugs fixed and new features, especially in the way the Media Library works make the Hub a lot better for me. It’s not perfect, but for what I need, the Hub is finally working pretty well.

In your case peaje it doesn’t matter what happened in the past as long as you are happy with how the Hub works now.

I just hope that WD doesn’t mess up this good work in the next firmware :wink: