Audio is out of sync with Video

The Video doesn’t match the audio, I’m playing an AVI file that works fine on my computer.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks in Advance

1 Like

Are you sure you’re using the correct audio codecs with the AVI file?  I think WD has a knowledge base article that tells which codecs go with which media files.

1 Like

hey there…

i have seen this with some files that are transcoded improperly…

sometimes…audio will just lag by .5 sec.----sometimes up to 3 seconds…

you can either recode the video into ANOTHER format/spec…or deal with it…

sometimes you can pause the video…or just re-wind it a few seconds and it will sync up…have had this problem with many dvd/divx set-top boxes…

as always ymmv (YOUR milage may vary)

-good luck

-Peon

1 Like

Can anyone else help here??? I am having exactly the same problem - AVI (divx) audio is always delayed by about 0.5 to 1 second. Does not matter which file - always the same issue. Not good enough just to be told to “deal with it”. Surely needs to be some kind of firmware upgrade to fix this???

2 Likes

Try passing the audio to your amp (if you have one) via optical, I have out of sync audio on a lot of avi files when played via HDMI, but via the optical out the audio is always in sync… go figure!

1 Like

I have the same problem, audio out of sync, but only if I skip ahead or fast forward when play starts again, if I let the avi file play from the start it is fine thru the whole thing, but if I jump ahaed it is out of whack and nothing will bring it back in sync ,except starting from the begining of the file. Also if it is playing fine and I stop it when I press ply agin and the WD box asks if I want to play from where I left off and I select OK it now is out of sync.

1 Like

I too have the same exact problem. the audio is out of sync. not very happy about my wd device :frowning:

1 Like

I am trying new firmware tonight

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Only happens on some videos

2 Likes

Is yours the Second generation unit, I have both and have only seen it with the new second gen version, and I am running the newest firmware, I was going to try and go back to an older version but they don’t leave all version on the site. Funny with this many people having the same problem that they have not come up with a fix yet ???

1 Like

WD isn’t really doing much about it (yet) but the issue seems to arise when your video file has audio encoded in AAC format. Similar files with MP3 format audio work fine and don’t go out of sync.

Until WD issues a fix, I suggest either going back to the 1st gen unit ($60 at Best Buy) or changing your encode settings to MP3 audio tracks on your videos, instead of the more popular AAC format.

1 Like

hi there, ivejust got one wdtv mini and it was playing the audio out of sync due to my tv doing some image processing.

I disabled the smart feature that auto adjusts the aspect ratio and other things and that is it, audio in sync again 

check your image processing settings on the tv set, disable as much stuff as you can

1 Like

Hi, I just bought the latest version of the media player and a 1TB WD hard drive. There is very small time difference between video and audio in AVI files. However, my mp4 files have at least 4 to 5 seconds difference in time.

I am very disappointed!!!  BTW, I have no time delay when watching the video files on my computer. I hope they are going to fix this ASAP (I have the latest firmware on my media player).

I am also going to call them in the next days.

To add to my e-mail yesterday: Obviously, this is now going on since more than half a year … without any solution to the problem … although they have had two patches since the original firmware … NOT A GOOD SIGN!!!

Yes, if one uses the fast forward … things get worse. BTW, the fast forward is anything else than fast forword … it would be great if they would have at least one or two steps higher in speed.

I called support: I had to reset my media player (small whole next to the USB connection). The only hazel was that the player set itself for “PAL”. It took me a few minutes to scroll down on a flickering TV set until I got it back to NTSC.

I am all set for now.  

So you were having the audio out of sync problem after fast forward and a reset cured it ?

1 Like

I thought it was fixed … it is the fast forwarding that produces the problem with MP4 files.

They must know about this and hopefully work on a solution!!!

Tried reboot button, ho help , if I play AVi vide from the begining no problem, but fast forward or FF and then skip button , I think jumps 10 min, audio is out of sync and nothing will bring it back in, WHAT A PAIN< WD PLEASE FIX !

1 Like

WD, somebody from your company must have read these e-mails. Please respond and tell your customers when you are going to fix this.

This is not technical support.  This is a community forum with users helping other users.  Although it is scanned by WD moderators and employees, not every issue is brought to our attention for support purposes.

With that, this is also the WDTV Mini and DVR forum.  Based upon the threads I have read, there are several units that that do not belong in this post and should be posted in their correct forum as depending upon your unit; there may be a different resolve to the issue.  The WDTV Mini does not support some features that the other models support and vice versa so, it is difficult to make suggestions based upon different models and symptoms.

The first thing to check would be the encoding of the video file.  Where did the source of this video file come from?  If it came from the internet, then there is little that can be done with the actual file and re-encoding to get it to synchronize up properly.  If you are the original keeper of the source file, meaning that you created the file from your own content, verify the codec’s you are using against the Appendix in the user manual.  If all looks good, try a different encoding program.  There are many free or free trial encoding programs, sometimes depending on the original file, you may have to play with the codec’s in order for the files to play properly.

If you need to contact Tech support for further assistance please see the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Hardly think the encoding has ANYTHING to do with it. If you read the posts carefully, you will see that the audio is IN sync and if you play the  intire video thru without pausing Fastforwarding or skipping ii remains in sync. If however you  do any of those features the sync is lost and nothing will bring it back , only starting it over from the begining will bring it back.