Audio is out of sync with Video

This can still come down to a Codec support or encoding issue.  Also what firmware is being used and which WDTV model is this concerning?

Engineering has tried to reproduce many of these issues and cannot reproduce them.   When ever they are able to reproduce them, they forward the files to developement so that they can be analized and possibly corrected in a future firmware release.  The main trouble is the original files that most people have issues with are ones that were downloaded from the internet.  At that point there is very little that can be done to trouble shoot the actual issue.  However if you are the owner and originator of the original file then we will be happy to try and help in resolving this issue and escalate to engineering for duplication if necessary.  Like I said though, if engineering cannot duplicate the issue its impossible to fix.

Model: WDBABF0000NBK Release 1.01.77 (12/3/09) and also did it berfore update running Release 1.01.75 (11/18/09)

I also have the generation 1 unit , WDAVN00 and it does NOT have the same problem playing the same file,either with it original firmware or  the latest 1.03.

I originally posted  to the WD TV  forum but I see it is laso happeing on the mini forum , this one.

Also see:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/out-of-sync-audio/m-p/4046#M291

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/Audio-Video-out-of-sync/m-p/2815#M187

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/Audio-out-of-sync/m-p/2775#M180

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/PLEASE-GIVE-US-A-FIRMWARE-UPDATE/td-p/27714

OK, which phone number do you want me to call to discuss this problem with?

JESBKS

You are absolutely right!!! If you watch the videos ferom beginning to end: everything is OK. Once you do any of those things, it messes it up.

BTW: I have called customer support. They told me that THEY are working on this. However, I could not speak with the CA crew since I have called on a weekend.

Ya level 2 support is only available from 7am to 5pm Mon-Thur. and from 7am to 3pm on Friday  PST.

I can tell you that engineering is looking in to sync issues with MP4 files, however if you download them from the internet there may be issues with them.  We are only looking at issues where the user is the owner of the original source file. 

I guess they hope we will go away , how many months and still no upgrade?

Go away?  people with a sync issue of files?

Please.  I have this unit and the only time I have any issues with it is when I download content from the internet.  But my content always works just fine.

Where are you getting your content from?

I have the same problem,the movie starts in sync and after 10mins it drops out ,so i have to stop the movie and start it again and everything works ok for another 10mins.

I was told be a friend it could be that i use a usb flash drive (8gb) and this may not be able to keep a constent transfer rate???

Would i be better buying a "my passport " external hard drive or have people had the same problem

cheers

Also how can it matter what codecs you have or where you got it from as if it plays on the pc WHY should it change!!!

I use a WD passport same problem

why dont they just sort the problem out. they just dont seem to want to help ,it seems that it not much use if you cant use it for films!!!

Dear Friends

I’m experiencing the same problem as many of you.

I own some DVDs, extracted their content so that the VOB files are intact and unencrypted, and reencoded those miles as MP4s. The audio and video are woefully out of sync. The drive I tested at the time was a 16GB USB flash drive.

I bought a 1TB Western Digital Elements external USB drive and couldn’t even get the Mini to see it if it was formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled or not). Formatting the drive as FAT32 seems to be the solution for that problem. Western Digital’s support documentation indicates that there is support for Mac OS Extended volumes.

So in my experience the only video the MIni can handle is uncompressed VOBs on a FAT32-formatted volume. Given that I paid only US$35 for the MIni, I’m going to keep it.

I’m just offering my experience so some of you may benefit from it.

I’m still excited about having all of my All in the Family and Archie Bunker’s Place DVDs in one source that works with my standard-definition television. Plus, I have all sixteen of my son’s Barney videos onboard, as well as several recent movies.

–Jaddie

I figured out something , I’ve WD Mini ,it’s firmware was version 1.00.37 , it was working great except for Divx movies ,when u pause audio id out of sync with video , but RMVBs were great ,no problem at all with them ,I decided to upgrade to the new firmware 1.00.60 ,unfortunatly i uprgaded my device and i regret doing that very much now, Divx movies still have the desync problem ,and this annoying irritating problem occured also with RMVB movies ,I was astonished really ,a large famous company like western digital with its good reputition does a mistake like this??? ,and more over there is no way to downgrade the firmware to the previous 1.00.37 ,I’m advising all the people i know now to stay away from any western digital product ,I’m really very dissapointed.

Dear Friends

Now I’m having trouble with uncompressed VOBs’ audio and video being out of sync if I fast forward or reverse the video.

As long as I don’t fast forward or reverse the video, it plays fine.

VOBs are the only files I can get to play well.

Is this problem fixable with a firmware update? If so, approximately when will the firmware update be available?

–Jaddie

I have communicated with tech support a couple of months ago. I never got any answers or follow up.

I fear the only way to solve this problem is to change the hardware … find a different company that makes this kind of products.

Dear JESBKS & Friends

Does anyone here have any experience with the Seagate Theatre player? It was on sale for US$55.

–Jaddie

At Least PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH THE PREVIOUS FIRMWARE 1.00.37 ,it was very stable and there was no issue of audio desync with the RMVBs.

I don’t know why you consider putting the old firmware for download is a SHAME or do you consider it a TOP SECRET??.

I feel like I’m shouting LOUD in a desert ,why doesn’t anybody from WD reply ?? ,

We are here having a SERIOUS PROBLEM ,all the video formats now have the desync problem after the upgrade to version 1.00.60,what is the use of this media player then???,

PLEASE RESPOND TO US.

I have one of the WDTV Mini units and the couple of issues I had with it were resolved when I updated to the 1.00.60 code.

what types of files are you trying to play that the audio and video go out of sync?

Where did the original files come from?

What software did you use to encode the original files?

Did you decrypt the original files or make sure that they do not have DRM associated with them?

I have the issue of desync with RMVB and AVI files ,and before i update to 1.00.60 RMVB files were playing very fine but the AVI were having some desync ,now after i updated ,AVIs and RMVBs both have the audio desync.

I’ve downloaded my files from many many sites ,and they  are playing very fine on my netbook and PC ,furthermore they are the same files that played fine before the upgrade ,then the problem must be in the upgrade itself not in the files.

I don’t know what is their problem if they at least allowed us to downgrade to the OLD FIRMWARE 1.00.37 , it was much better that the current one , what is really their problem ??.

This is the 1st time in my life i face the current problem (newer firmwares produce more problems) ,and this is the 1st and last time i buy a WD product.

btw what were ur issues that were fixed after you upgraded??

I was having issues copying some files and with subtitles displaying while the previous subtitle was still on the screen.   Also the position of the subtitle and subs not being displayed at all on some movies, when I knew they were there.

I have read in many forums the statement that you made, “it runs fine on my computer”.  In my opinion although that may be a valid statement, comparing your computer to the Mini is like comparing a fright train to a Mini (excuse the pun).  I use to have audio / video sync issues at times, but this was usually with downloaded content.  In the Live and Live plus forum, they tear people apart complaining about the issue of audio video sync from download as you don’t know where it came from. 

Typically re-encoding the file or using another encoder on the original file will and I have seen corrects many issues with syncing.

I did request support on a couple of files and WD said that they cannot trouble shoot torrents or downloads as the issue is usually with the original file encoding.   But it is hard to dispute since everytime I had an issue with personal files or DVD that I owned, I don’t have any issues at all.  Well non worth complaining about.  There are a couple of devices on the market that do not have this sync issue, but they are considerably more expensive and since I only paid about 60 bucks for this Im not going to complain.

I asked a couple of friends of mine to see if we can locate the previous version to help you out as I know I dont have it

StormRider951 wrote:

In the Live and Live plus forum, they tear people apart complaining about the issue of audio video sync

That’s a bit strong, isn’t it???  :smileyvery-happy: