Attempting a restore from my passport ultra to new hard drive

my hard drive on my old computer blew up. i have an older wd ‘my passport ultra’ external portable drive. i did a backup right before going on holiday. the files are there i can see them in file explorer. i’m pretty sure i could copy my individual files but i would like to be able to restore everything i had from the last backup i did. when i unlock the drive it says there are no files to restore and invites me to schedule a backup. i am running windows 10. i don’t understand why it doesn’t work as advertised. when i looked online this appears to be the solution:

" Please make sure the WD Backup Setup screen is not closed and Back up Files is not clicked. If the WD Backup Setup screen is closed or Backup Files is started on the new computer, the original computer backups will not be visible in WD Backup.

WD backup restore from another computer must be done during the initial set up wizard. If the WD Backup software is already installed then WD Backup must be uninstalled. When uninstalling please delete the C:\Users[Customer User Account]\AppData\Roaming\Western Digital\WD Backup\ index file.

i’m not sure how to find this file and i’m nervous about deleting any files that might mess with my ability to restore. why is it like this? i should just be able to plug it in and have a restore option to click on. i’ve opened a support ticket but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Hi @katlewis,

Please refer to the mentioned link WD Backup: “These Files Failed to Back Up” Message: WD Backup: "These Files Failed to Back Up" Message

Also, we regret to informed that WD Backup has reached its end of support life cycle.

As an alternate: Acronis True Image for Western Digital can be used.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thank you so very much, this is the best response I’ve received.

Regards,

Katherine Lewis

304.800.4555 h

972.742.8578 m

Thanks for sharing this information.