An unsupported file system has been detected on a USB device

Hi

When I try adding a 1TB external drive (Segate) to the MY CLOUD so I can make backups I get the following

An unsupported file system has been detected on a USB device (vendor Seagate, model: FreeAgent_GoFlex, serial number: NA0BQSDE, file system: N/A, label: N/A). Please remove the USB device.

I have formatted the device as NTFS but to no luck. Drive works perfect on all 3 computers not a problem there.

Thank you for your help.

How was the drive formatted for NTFS? Did it come out of the box that way? If not how was it formatted using what OS or software?

It appears the v4.x My Cloud firmware has trouble properly mounting certain USB drives. There are several prior threads discussing the issue with no real solution. What worked in my case with one USB drive that wasn’t properly mounted by the My Cloud was to delete the USB drive’s partitions, then repartition the USB drive then reformat the drive for NTFS. I performed this via Windows 7 and was able to get the My Cloud to properly mount the USB drive. One can read my experience in the following thread which includes log detail:

https://community.wd.com/t/this-is-absolutely-unacceptable/149432

Hi there thank you for your reply! It was formatted via Windows 10 and it has been used before just for file backups (just from Windows) but was formatted. Seems a bit tedious maybe buying a new USB 3 drive will work I mean I can try to delete the drives partitions and re partition them but you wouldn’t have to expect to do so :open_mouth:

Worked fine after deleting the volume and re adding it thank you for your advice :slight_smile:

Good to hear. On shouldn’t have to do it but for the few USB drives that are not properly recognized by the My Cloud it seems removing the partition and repartitioning then formatting seems to solve the problem. Apparently there is a particular way a partition is created (or possibly if there are more than one partition) that the My Cloud simply has trouble with.

Yeah mine just had the one partition but yeah they still have a lot of work to do regarding ironing little bugs out especially with the app very unstable both iOS and Android. Do you know of any other apps for iOS that will upload the camera roll after connecting it to the NAS? Once again thank you for your help.

Outside of the WD My Cloud and WD Photos app for iOS, no. I don’t use iOS, only Android. And so far I don’t have any problem with the WD My Cloud and WD Photos app on my Android devices.

I’m sure there are probably some apps that will allow one to copy photos from one’s iOS device to a NAS device like the My Cloud. But Apple tends to lock down their devices so one may have to try several apps before finding one that works for them.

I see no worries and thank you for everything been a big help!

This was a partial answer for me.
I did try formatting through Windows Explorer, but still wasn’t recognized.
I ended up connecting to my computer, opening Disk Management and performing a Format through here.
Once reconnected to MyCloud it was recognized and mounted as expected and it had previously.

I have had the same problem again with OS5. Solved by using W10 Disk Management to delete partition on USB drive and re add as simple NTFS partition with Quick Format