Always Having to RESET Cloud Access

I’ve searched and haven’t seen any recent posts. I’m using a regular MyCloud home, f/w 2.31.183

I’ve been having this issue since I got it. I ‘believe’ I have everything set up correctly, including users and shares. I am using the WD mobile app, and generally speaking everything works as it should. If I am outside my network and open the app, I can see all folders I have and need access to (this is outside my network).

Then a week can go by, and I’ll open the app again, and it will continue to spin and spin and will NOT access the MyCloud. It will always work when INside my home network, but this will fail when outside my network. The only fix is to return home, and access my MyCloud from my laptop and turn on/off cloud access from the settings. Once I do this, it all works perfect again for days-weeks and then it will fail again until I perform another cloud access reset.

Can someone please help!!

@MaryJaneToker There is a firmware update for the WD My Cloud. This may help solve your problem.

Thank you for the info cat0w. Will download the new f/w and give that a try, but I’m doubtful anything will change. I’ve seen my MyCloud update before to a new firmware (would see the notification upon logging in) and the issue remained.

It almost seems like a port is not staying open or something, even though I have assigned the M/C a static IP and manually forwarded its ports.

On a side note, I noticed the f/w says it updates the USB storage mount? That was another question/topic I wanted info on. I have a multi-port (7-8?) USB adapter plugged into the back, and have 2 usb drives plugged in. I can map and access those external drives without issue, but if I connect a WD Elements drive, things get screwed up and causes me to lose access to the other usb drives and causes an error to the drive which causes me to have to connect it directly to a Win10 machine to scan and repair, which it does successfully. Drive issue, USB adapter issue, or MyCloud issue?

It is possible, when using the remote access/cloud access option of the My Cloud, that one may have to set the option to Manual and setup manual ports other than the default ports. Then one must enable port forwarding with their router to forward the two manual ports to the My Cloud. It is possible a router reboot or IP address change is causing remote access to disconnect.

With respect to using USB hard drives. There was a recent issue with the 2.x firmware where USB hard drives would not mount. The latest firmware is supposed to fix that. However, keep in mind that even though the My Cloud documentation may advertise up to seven USB hard drives can be connected, we users have found that often five or more USB hard drives tend to have issues. When using two or more USB hard drives you should be using either a powered USB hub or interdependently powered USB hard drives. The My Cloud USB port may not be able to supply enough constant power to keep multiple unpowered USB hard drives running.

Also keep in mind that the USB hard drive must be in a My Cloud supported format (like NTFS). Sometimes one has to use third party partitioning software to remove the existing partitions on a USB hard drive, create one single large partition and format it for NTFS to get the My Cloud to recognize the drive.

External USB drive file systems supported on My Cloud Products

@Bennor

Thank you SOOOOO much, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Setting the ports manually is something I can give a try. I’ve already assigned a static, and reserved that IP in my router and all that stuff, but I do believe I’m using the default ports.

In regards to the hard drives, I AM using a stand alone usb hub which has its own power supply. I’ve got 2 drives working just fine, and both required no setup, they were new out of box and plug and play. One drive is a WD Passport 2.5 portable drive, its visible and accessible at all times. The WD Elements portable drive is very similar, but doesn’t seem to want to play. I will definitely format it using EaseUs to remove all partitions. Thanks!

Just a quick update, the new firmware did nothing to fix the cloud access issue I’ve been having. Was working fine since Sept 17 after I did the update, but I was out this evening and tried to access but the app throws an error (I think it was 403 tonight?)…

Re: the drives, I formatted the drive completely, removing all partitions including any hidden, but it still doesn’t stay connected very long. If I try to move large amounts of data from one drive to this drive, it stalls shortly after starting, and then no longer allows read/write access. I’ve moved large sums of data (20-40GB) between drives before, and from a pc to those other 2 drives I have connected, and the transfer completes without issue.

Regarding the USB drive: My go to answer would have been the powered hub; which sounds like you have addressed.

My next go to answer is “bad USB cable”. I go through USB 3.0 cables almost as fast as I go through iPhone cables. Can you swap cables and see if it works?

Next trial is to connect the USB drive directly to the back of the WD MyCloud. . . that will tell you if the Hub is the problem. If it still doesn’t work right, move the USB drive to a PC. If it works on a PC, but not when plugged into the MyCloud. . .it’s the mycloud. If it doesn’t work ANYWHERE. . .its the drive.

Regarding the network issue: What other network devices do you have around? Anything new at home? I have two MyCloud-like devices on my network. . . . .they both grab the same ports by default. . .gets ugly. If I recall, there was a third device (might be the router itself) which makes a play for the SAME external port. . . . .Which is why I made a list of everything I want to be able to communicate externally. . .and assign ports at the router level.

Thanks guys,

Regarding the drive issue, I formatted (again), copied 40GB of data from PC directly to the drive which went perfect, no issues (drive is brand new - I would hope there weren’t any issues!). Cable is new, and seats fine. Connected the drive to the MC without my hub, and it appears to be working just fine, so looks like its my cheap Chinese hub which is causing the issue.

Nothing new on my network which would be causing port related issues. I’ve manually set new ports on the MC and updated my port forward list in my router settings just to see, and so far so good… I noticed when I connected through the app, it took quite a bit longer than usual as the cloudy thingy just kept spinning and spinning (thought it was gonna error out on me) but it finally brought up my folders and I had full access. So far so good… hopefully it stays working!