Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

OK, I’ve made some progress with what I have. (I don’t have an FTDI cable right now) I am able to get my system to boot a recovery image from USB that I can tell. However, I don’t have any page to be able to recover the firmware from. I CAN see the NAS on my network. I think I have a TFTP server running on it but It’s hard to tell fully. Every device I try to connect to acts like it’s working. Now I hope I can get things working better some time tomorrow.

I found that I actually DO have a UART cable, it was an old cable for programming 2GIG security panels. Just had to verify the pinout on it. Now I’ve got a port hooked up on my NAS that I soldered in place today so I can connect. But the post telling me how to actually connect and fix the thing has apparently been deleted. Is there an actual step by step that says what commands I need to enter so I can restore my system? I assume going back to stock would be the easiest first step.

It is not deleted! Look

Fox_exe

Jun '16

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
reboot -f

After this WDMC runs in “Rescue” mode. Go to webgui and upload original firmware file (.bin)

When kernel or ramdisk in internal nand drive is damaged (In mtdblock 1 and 2) - bootloader trying to boot recovery kernel (mtdblock4).
Another way: (Need USB flash drive)
Format it in Fat32
make dir “boot” and copy uImage-marvell-original and uRamdisk-marvell-recovery to this folder. Rename files as “uImage” and “uRamdisk”.
Connect this flash to WDMC Mirror, power on. Wait ~1 min, then you can connect to web interface (“Recovery mode”) and upload official firmware.

• I have written about it at the Russian forum (4pda.ru 8), but have forgotten to duplicate in the archive…

But if you ask how to flash the /dev/mtdblock1 with directly with the original firmware you have to think a littel. For example:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSWYxWDBtS2wwejA

I can connect via SSH to the EX2 Ultra but I’m still stuck. If I let it boot on it’s own I get stuck with it repeating “sh: noip2: not found” and never getting a network connection so I can’t go to a recovery console. If I interrupt I can get it to pull an IP Address with DHCP but no console. I assume I can do something with commands through SSH, but I have no clue what to actually enter here. At this point I would be beyond happy to just get back to stock firmware.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m still stuck and am completely unable to use my NAS. I know I shouldn’t have even bothered trying without being 100% sure what I was doing was correct, but I just want to get it up and running at all at this point.

@ghrayfahx
Maybe I can only help you to bring back to the recovery mode and flash the original firmware again on it. If you have SSH connection just this two commands.

reboot -f

After the reboot the WD should just reboot into the recovery mode, if not try to switch it on while holding the reset botton until it reboots to flashing red lights.

I can connect to the system via putty but it tells me DD is an unknown command.

@Fox_exe

Hi Fox,

I have a at mycloud gen2 with your debian+omv and now also a mirror gen2 with debian stretch+omv. and at this point, you are doing a great work!

the single bay is working fine, no issues here. but there is a strange behaviour from the mirror.

…every time I reboot the device, the network interfaces gets a new Mac address…

I already tried to change/edit the udev rules, but this does not take effect. maybe you have any idea regarding that!?

best regards

jan

Create file in:

/etc/network/if-up.d/set-mac

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 hw ether `dd if=/dev/mtd0 bs=1 skip=1046528 count=17 2>/dev/null`

Make it executable (maybe not necessary):

chmod a+x /etc/network/if-up.d/set-mac

So, this script set MAC to original when eth0 is up (At connect or reconnect LAN).

Change MAC Address:

echo -n '00:90:A9:12:34:56' | dd of=/dev/mtd0 bs=1 seek=1046528 conv=notrunc

thank you for the quick response. I will test it tomorrow.

…are there more things “need to know” regarding the mirror gen2? or maybe tweaks, like fan control etc.?

ok, i tried it but i can not write to md0 right now “dd: failed to open ‘/dev/mtd0’: Permission denied”.

i’m also interested if there is already a chance to control the fan of the wdmcmg2? …spindown would be also a topic for me. Do you have any information on that?

@Fox_exe …i’m still not able to write to mtd0 :-/

Oh. sorry, this for for Gen2 with one disk.

For other devices - just put you MAC address in /etc/network/interfaces like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hwaddress ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

i already done this a few days ago. i just asked me why to write that on to a disk and read it again for setup when i can also write it directly down to interfaces :wink:

for automatic fan control i decided to us mcm-deamon (GitHub - cschil/mcm-deamon: Deamon for control the Weltrend MCU in a MyCloudMirror gen2 and Ex2 ultra). it’s working just fine.

…one thing that is not working till now is spinning down the disks…

i decided to use hd-idle, because hdparm isn’t working like i would expect it. with hdparm the disks are spinning down and up again immediatly when i want to spin them down manually. with hd-idle it’s working…

i’ve setup log2ram, i run samba in tmpfs and also journald is running in persistent mode that everything got written to /var/log (tmpfs). i have dissabled “system health” logging in OMV…

but there are still some processes writing or reading permanently from disks in short intervals, so there is not enough time without reads/writes for spindown…

I think i fugged up my WD Mirror Gen 2, i´ve read a lot of text here, but wasn´t able to get back to WD Firmware.
Only the WDSM 6.0 Login Window shows up.
Tried format my HDD with Linux, ended in DSM, uImage uRamdisk on USB want to create a new HDD for DSM
Cant login, DSM says IP Blocked for false Login (tried to often), and lost my login name and pw
Pls help *and yes, English isn´t my language :slight_smile:

EDIT: Now i´b back into DSM but how can i now go back, there are so many howto´s

Hi everyone, it’s been a long time since 6.0 version of DSM was launched. Now with 6.2 on the market, any plans to release a .pat file for our WD NAS. I know it’s a time consuming process to convert synology system file to our hardware, but still today I see more pros than OMV.

1 Like

The Mycloud has some problems with DSM (Synology) / corrupted lib files
I‘m really confused but I try to fix it :smiley:

I try to reverse and edit the newest software (DSM 6.2.x) (DS216) but I don‘t know how to edit the checksum and the hda1.tgz

@Fox_exe
If you see this post, pls send me an pm :slight_smile:
Have a lot of time.

Hello @AirPain
Run that command as root (sudo su) via telnet

than

reboot

After reboot you can access to “WD Recovery” web. (Look for your device IP in your Router)

@Alonia check this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/Dev/dsm-wdmc-mirror-gen2.tar.xz

@Fox_exe
I get Error 13 / need more information to compile the .pat file correctly.