After disconnecting my external disk from High Sierra and connecting it to Ventura it didn't work

• After disconnecting my external disk from High Sierra and connecting it to Ventura it didn’t work.

Hello everyone,

I have a portable disk that I backup. I bought it new about two months ago. I’ve connected it to my computer 3-4 times so far. It is 2TB in size. Recently, I installed it on my old machine, HighSierra, and did my work. Days later, when I plugged it into my main machine, Ventura, it saw my disk, but no disk icon appeared on the desktop. And it’s still that way. In the Disk Utility program, I see that my disk is working and my Mac sees my disk. But for some reason there is no icon on the desktop and not only does the icon appear, I can’t access my disk in Finder either. I hear the sound of the disk head spinning. It stops working after a while. I think it goes into sdanby mode. How can I solve this problem?

• I also have an extra Windows11 computer, but the files cannot be accessed due to that file system.

Thanks,
Cenk

Hi @mcyenikoylu ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

It seems like there might be an issue with how the external disk is mounted or recognized by your Mac. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Finder Preferences:

• Open Finder and go to Preferences.
  • Under the “General” tab, make sure “External disks” is checked. This ensures that external disks will appear on your desktop.

2. Check Finder Sidebar:

• In Finder, go to the Finder menu and select Preferences.
  • In the Sidebar tab, make sure that “External disks” is checked. This will ensure that your external disk is visible in the Finder sidebar.

3. Check Disk Mount Point:

• Open Disk Utility.
  • Select your external disk from the left sidebar.
  • Check the “Mount Point” section to ensure the disk is mounted correctly. If it’s not mounted, you can try mounting it manually.

4. Reset Finder:

• You can try resetting the Finder. Open the Terminal and enter the following command:
    killall Finder

• This will restart the Finder, and it might help resolve any issues with displaying the external disk on the desktop.

5. Check Disk Permissions:

• In Disk Utility, select your external disk.
  • Go to the “First Aid” tab and click on “Run First Aid” to check and repair disk permissions.

6. Check for macOS Updates:

• Make sure that your macOS is up to date. Sometimes, issues are resolved with the latest system updates.

7. Verify File System Compatibility:

• Check the file system format of your external disk. macOS usually supports formats like APFS, HFS+, or exFAT. Ensure it’s a compatible format.

8. Check Power Settings:

• Some external drives may have power-saving features. Check the power settings on your external drive and adjust them if necessary.

9. Use Disk Management on Windows:

• If you have access to a Windows computer, check the disk using Disk Management to see if it’s recognized and functioning properly.

10. Backup Important Data:

• Before attempting any fixes, ensure you have a backup of your important data on the external disk.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be worth contacting the disk manufacturer’s support for assistance. Additionally, you can provide more details about the external disk’s file system and any error messages you encounter for more targeted help.

Thank you @amelia1 for your reply.

HardDisk Mount does not work. When I try to repair it with First Aid, I get an error for the EFI part.

Please see the screenshot image.:

Hi @Keerti_01 , thank you for reply.

I thought this was a support forum. Thank you for the link you provided. I will create a support ticket. Thanks.

I have tried everything for 2 months, including recovery codes from the terminal. Out of the blue the WD disk stopped appearing on MacOS. Even WD’s own software can’t see its own product.

terminal status