WD My Passport Ultra

Hi, I have the WD My Passport and I can no longer see the icon on my desktop. So can no longer access my files. The small white light does keep flashing. Am running a Apple Mac Book Pro with OS X El Capitan… be great is some had a solution for this for me. Many thanks

Hello,

I recommend you try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the computer, not through a hub).

3- User another USB cable or another computer if possible.

4- Go to "Disk Utility” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If the drive shows up in Disk Utility but it is not seen on your desktop, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it

Dear Hamlet.

Thank you very much for all the tips.

I found that as it stopped working it also stopped my mac from turning off.

On speaking with Apple team we have found that there is a file called mount_??? and this was using 100 per cent of the memory and it stopped disc utility from working.

Each time I plug in the external drive it does the same this it imports this file and stops my Mac from switching off.

My main issue now is being able to retrieve my files as I can not connect the external WD My Passport Ultra to my computer due to this file?

May I ask what should be my next steps to resolve this?

Kind Regards

Bob Howell
[Deleted]

Home: [Deleted]
Mobile: [Deleted]

Hello,

I recommend you contact WD support directly for assistance with this issue.

Hi Hamlet, many thanks I have a case open with them but fear this may take a little while due to the holidays. Thank you very much for your all your help.