Admin / installer / setup person can see all content?

Hello, I am a new user and there is still one thing not clear even after googling and searching the forum.

I have setup the MyCloud so I am probably like an administrator who can make Shares and Users by using the dashoard.

Let me call myself user X with a private share A.

I made a new user Y (with password) and made a new private share B.

I am for example not allowed to see the content of share B because this is only for user Y.

Since I am like an admin, I can give myself access (content view) to any share on the drive any time I want by using the dashboard.

I thought by giving user Y a password (I let it enter on the dashboard by the user itself manually), I would not be able to see the content on his/hers private share.

So I can always see anyones data?

Have you read the Help information provided in the Dashboard?

There is the User Manual too!

Have you visited the Learning Center?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Administrator privileges give access to all dara.  That’s fairly universal for an operating system.  And rather an essential right for a true system admin.

I wonder if you set up another non-admin account for yourself, and then use larryg0’s trick of clearing credentials here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Cannot-Connect-to-Private-Share-WIN7/td-p/867295

would allow you to access only as a normal user.

Then you’d only have admin rights via the dashboard?

Not tried it, but it might be worth experimenting with.

the 1st user created is the admin user. the admin user has no automatic rights to any private share. so you cannot see the contents of share B by default

however the admin user can grant or revoke access rights for any user to any share at any time so there is no way to secure it so you can’t have access.

I have several private shares on mine that I don’t have access to but I can still get it if needed.

As CPT pointed out there is some methode for an admin to get file access on any system I know of.

If media serving is enabled on a share then anyone on the LAN can view and play any media on that share as there is no security in DLNA

the 1st user created is the admin user. the admin user has no automatic rights to any private share. so you cannot see the contents of share B by default

Aha.  I didn’t know that.  But then there’s only one user on my MC… :wink: