Acronis True Image WD edition is A WASTE OF TIME!

This software is useless, the support is non-existent from both ends and no fix in the horizon!!! WD used to have simple solid software with their drives now this junk. PLUS, my 1TB black Caviar gives me a DISK ERROR message 1 month after I spent 2 days trying to transfer files from my old WD 120 drive to the new one. For that I used Acronis Migrate Easy which was not easy at all - kept needing to reboot cause it wouldn’t reckognize the transfer. All my drives have been WD. What happened to your reliability WD???

I’m sorry that you’ve had problem with the Acronis software. I’ve used the software several times and never had any issues with it. The software uses generic mass storage controller drivers so it may not work on all systems. I’m not familiar with the Acronis Migrate Easy since it is not one of our products. However, I have imaged my drive to another larger drive when I was upgrading my internal and it didn’t cause me any problems. If you are having a specific issue with the software, we can forward it to our engineers through our Tech Support and have them look at it. One thing that you could try is check to see if there is a BIOS update for your system. Sometimes this can help resolve issues.

Will this software (Acronis True Image WD Edition) work with the MYBOOK II WORLD EDITION 4TB NAS?   I need to find software that will truly CLONE my drives for real backup and restore and if this is free from Western Digital - then that would be great!

Ed

Why won’t the Acronis software for the WD drive detect a WD1600VERTL drive in a USB enclosure? This prevents cloning the existing EIDE drive to the new WD drive. I called support and after entering all the warranty information and serial number and model information and repeating it to the customer “service” person, he said the WD version of Acronis doesn’t work with my new WD drive in a USB enclosure. I made a service resquest and a case was opened but when I respond to the service request I get a response back that my email address is not registered with the service request. I’m on here with that same login. Maybe the CSR didn’t like it that I hung up on him and he must have modified something to cause this issue with responding back to the Service Incident request.         Nice

A lame answer for a “WD staff” member.

And why is that your software uses “generic mass storage controller drivers” ?

Why is that your software produces a bootable rescue media that doesn’t work when you need it the most : when you want to do a restore ? 

Are you AWARE that your principal competitor it’s miles away ? …and that their similar product works like a charm ?

I’m very disappointed that you are treating this problem with this amount of care.

I was a fan of WD drives, that wouldn’t let you down, but now that there is a product somewhere else, THAT WORKS, and bundles with a similar reliable drive - I got to shift that way - another lost customer, and counting…

Taken form Acronis True Image WD edition user’s guide:

<<The standalone version of Acronis True Image WD Edition does not detect your hard drive(s) or NIC card.
 This is because the recovery environment does not have the appropriate drivers.
 The issue can be solved as follows:
 - Create Acronis System Report and request Acronis Customer Central to provide you with an iso file of the rescue media that contains the required drivers. ARE YOU SERIOUS ??
 - Create a Windows-based recovery environment that includes the required drivers.
 See “Working with Acronis True Image Plug-In for BartPE” at http://kb.acronis.com/content/1506WHO HAS THE TIME WITH n CLIENTS ?? >>

Kilowatt wrote:

Why won’t the Acronis software for the WD drive detect a WD1600VERTL drive in a USB enclosure? This prevents cloning the existing EIDE drive to the new WD drive. I called support and after entering all the warranty information and serial number and model information and repeating it to the customer “service” person, he said the WD version of Acronis doesn’t work with my new WD drive in a USB enclosure. I made a service resquest and a case was opened but when I respond to the service request I get a response back that my email address is not registered with the service request. I’m on here with that same login. Maybe the CSR didn’t like it that I hung up on him and he must have modified something to cause this issue with responding back to the Service Incident request.         Nice

Acronis is only supported for use with cloning internal drives to our internal drives.  It has to recognize one of the internal drives as being ours.  It is not designed, nor supported, for cloning with external drives, especially third party external enclosures.   However, you may use Acronis to create a drive backup image to an external drive, which you then can restore to the new drive.  Whether it will work with a third party external enclosure is debatable, though.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3689

1 Like

I guess that my mileage has varied from yours…

I’ve had great success with the Acronis WD tool, and I have been able to clone, backup, and restore with a Western Digital drive in an external enclosure or SATA to USB dock.  I’m sure there are enclosures that aren’t compatible with the hardware validation mechanism, but all that I’ve used have worked fine.

I’ve used the software through two versions - WD upgraded to a newer version in the past few months.

That said, I’ve not had to use the recovery CD.

– Brian

Brian did you test your recovery CD? I use the paid Acronis 2010 but use this free one on a couple of other PCs version and boot from CD to image system partiton.  It’s a little Linux program that does everything so there are no problems from automatic program updates and security software running.