Accessing Network drive on "new" WD TV

So… I already have three WD TV’s around the house attached to different TV’s. All of them play files from a central Synology network drive. Have had this set-up for years and no issue.

Recently I bough a 4th WD TV off eBay to attach to a new TV in the house. All set-up, same as the others and no issue. When I try to access the network drive however, it asks for username and password. None of the other three drives do this and frankly, if there even is a password, I have no idea what it is!

Any ideas??

Hi @JensMartin,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Problem with that is that the WDTV is not really an option you can choose on that page (presumably because it has been discontinued). :frowning:

WDTV units are FAR past end of life. They just don’t have the compute power to deal with new formats effectively such as h.265 or wifi streaming.

Do yourself a favor and get a Raspberry Pi or an OSMC Vero 4+ or Vero V running Open Source Media Center software (based off of Kodi). They are cheap and will do much more than the WD can and will have support for many years. OSMC will play anything you can throw at it. It’s well tested and adopted and has been around for years. www.osmc.tv