Accessing Music from external

I have my WD Cloud all setup and working perfect. Internally.

When I play music over the internet (I have WiFi at work and accessing that way so not hammering my data usage) is there a way to have it cache more than a song at a time.

My structure is setup like

Public

Shared Music

Artist

Album

I choose the first song within any given album, which once uploads from the WDCloud box starts to play. I would have though the devioce would then go and start caching the remaining songs but it doesn’t appear to be as there is a 20-30sec pause between each song as it’s obviously starting the upload of the next song.

the app on my iphone has chace set to 1GB, but I’m again assuming that cache is per media file. So great for big movie files, not so great for multiple <10mb music files.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and when I play a album there is only about four seconds between songs.

Your songs must really be short, I just played an album and the smallest song on it was 4.84 MB.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

What format is your music stored in, and what is the uplink rate on your router?

My music is stored as FLAC, requiring at most 1440kbps (that’s the raw CD data rate), but my uplink rate is only 1Mbps (which will include link overhead for the PPPoA protocol stack, giving me a realistic payload rate of about 750kbps).

So I cannot play music remotely.  Not without ‘buffering’ gaps…

n1nj4m4st3r wrote:

the app on my iphone has chace set to 1GB, but I’m again assuming that cache is per media file. So great for big movie files, not so great for multiple <10mb music files.

Oh, is the cache per file? I thought it was per folder (whatever one youre opening). I set mine on my ipad to 5gb so other family members can view the tons of pictures they have without loading issues. But if it really is per file than I can safely turn that down.

Thanks for the responses folks.

Cat0w - Is that 4 sec buffer when you are on the same wifi as the WDCloud box, or when you are away remotely? I get a small buffer at home which i can live with.

Spt - The music is all MP3, and my router has a simliar upload rate. My point is that when i open an album folder i would have through that as it’s playing one song it would begin the download of the next songs to allow a “seamless” playing experience. The cached setting appears to be a bit of a red herring then, as i assumed it would cache xGB worth of data but that’s maybe only relevant when streaming large files, ie movies?

DM - I have no idea tbh about the caching thats what I’m trying to get an answer on.

How do you all play an album from the WDcloud box? It might be i’m doing it wrong, but i can’t see any other way than to navigate to the folder and play the first song in the list. This app then automatically plays through each song in order. is there a way to “play the folder” similar to right clicking in Windows for example and “adding to media player list”?

TYAIA.