Access USB drive connected to USB router

Hi,

I have a router with usb network share on it. From windows XP, to see it I have to map \my.router.ip.adress\MyShare. It is possible to open this location from my WD TV Live? :mansurprised:

Thank you.

It appears this is not possible (many folks have tried to do this and failed).

Connect those drives to your PC and you’ll be fine.

Thank you for your reply! I believe that should be implemented in the future because it’s more economic to share a disk from  router instead from a computer.

radu256 wrote:

Hi,

I have a router with usb network share on it. From windows XP, to see it I have to map \my.router.ip.adress\MyShare. It is possible to open this location from my WD TV Live? :mansurprised:

Thank you.

Don’t believe everything you read here!

Connecting the WDTV Live to a USB drive on a router is definitely possible … I do it myself.  How successful it proves to be rather depends upon your router and the sophistication of its media server / sharing functionality.  I have a WD Elements 1.5Tb connected to a Linksys WRT610N v2.  I can connect to it from my HDTV Live on both the media server and share interfaces.

The WRT610N is happy with both NTFS and FAT32 partitions.  I have uPNP enabled and set the workgroup name to match that set within the WDTV Live and the rest of my PCs (BTW, not necessarily WORKGROUP).

My use of HDTV Live is limited to MP3 playback, so I cannot advise on how well video works with this config.  For MP3 playback, there is an annoying 15-20 second gap between tracks when using the share interface.  There is no inter-track delay on the media server interface, however, unfortunately this interface terminates with a network error after exactly 30 mins of playback (consistantly).

Yemble wrote:

radu256 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

Don’t believe everything you read here!

Connecting the WDTV Live to a USB drive on a router is definitely possible … I do it myself.  How successful it proves to be rather depends upon your router and the sophistication of its media server / sharing functionality.  I have a WD Elements 1.5Tb connected to a Linksys WRT610N v2.  I can connect to it from my HDTV Live on both the media server and share interfaces.

The WRT610N is happy with both NTFS and FAT32 partitions.  I have uPNP enabled and set the workgroup name to match that set within the WDTV Live and the rest of my PCs (BTW, not necessarily WORKGROUP).

My use of HDTV Live is limited to MP3 playback, so I cannot advise on how well video works with this config.  For MP3 playback, there is an annoying 15-20 second gap between tracks when using the share interface.  There is no inter-track delay on the media server interface, however, unfortunately this interface terminates with a network error after exactly 30 mins of playback (consistantly).

I don’t quite understand your reply. First you say it is possible then you go on to detail the problems you have with that arrangement - MP3 gaps with shares and network drops with media server. So its possible but not really advisable.

richUK wrote:

I don’t quite understand your reply. First you say it is possible then you go on to detail the problems you have with that arrangement - MP3 gaps with shares and network drops with media server. So its possible but not really advisable.

Edit : Oops, this old man thought it was the OP who posted this.  Sorry, Rich – you know FAR more about this stuff than anyone, and I wouldn’t have replied at all (or deleted this, but there doesn’t appear to be an option to delete your own post).  So I’ll edit it slightly in case it helps the OP.

Well, he’s relating his experience and being honest about how he uses the Live and what possible problems you might face.  My own advice was only based on what I read, so this particular anecdotal evidence is at least worthwhile.

It certainly doesn’t hurt for the OP to try using it – the worst that can happen is he will have problems and decide he don’t want to do it.  It’s probably best to go into doing almost anything with the Live with that attitude – too often the folks who are the most angry and/or disappointed are those with high expectations about what it will and won’t do.  If he goes in thinking “well, it’s worth a try and if it doesn’t work then no harm” he might be pleasantly surprised.

The other thing I always think of is how much it all costs – and it’s not all about money (at my age, time is FAR more precious than money).  If you are willing to invest the time it takes to get something working (and it might take quite some time and quite some effort) then it’s a far different matter than just expecting something to work with minimal effort (which is me – as I said, I don’t have the time to waste and if something doesn’t work right away I need to move on.  Which is why, for me, attaching the drives locally to a PC would be the far better thing to do).

Good luck either way.

(Once again, this was really more for the OP who I thought was questioning why he was getting conflicted advice.  Anyone else confused here?  Hey, for us retirees EVERY day is Monday :>)