“Wi-fi router” connected to a Ethernet Network Switch

“main internet router” ip start 192.168.0.**

“wi-fi router” ip start 192.168.31.**

I can’t access my files If connected via “Wi-fi router” to My Cloud EX2 Ultra
but I can access to My Cloud EX2 Ultra settings page,

Only if I connected via a “main internet router”
to My Cloud EX2 Ultra I can access my files

but If I connect via a “wifi router” or “main internet router”
and used any media playback applications for example kodi, I can access my files

Why In Windows file browser I can’t access my files
If connected from “WiFi router” ?
but media playback applications for example kodi do that ?

I know that there is a difference in the IP number, but they are all on the same local network
and by media playback applications I can access and play my files.

Hi @KaBoS,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

So it sounds like the thing you are calling “network switch” is acting as a router and a DHCP server.

With the NAS on the switch; and the laptop on Wifi; you essentially have a “double-nat” setup; which can cause funky problems depending on the router firmwares.

While you are on the same network; the devices are on different subnets in a double NAT setup.
This is not really a bad thing; I have run this way in the past: I wind up in this situation when I am dialed into my network with VPN.

One thing I have noticed in this mode is that the access via “device name” doesn’t work reliably. I tend to always refer to the NAS by ip address (either in a browser to get the dashboard; or file explorer to access files)

Give this a whorl and let us know.

(PS: OS3 is working with SMB1 - - > when you use file manager; the network section will NOT show the NAS in a double-nat setup; but you can still access using the IP address)

Or, your “main network router” is the DHCP server and the “wifi router” is causing the double NAT. Either way, try plugging the main network router into the wifi router’s WAN socket and turn off DHCP in the wifi router (or select “Access Point” mode instead of “Router Mode” in the wifi router).