Ability to play .rar files

As some of you know VLC and a couple other media players can play a movie strait from the .rar file without extracting.

I wish WD TV Live would have this feature also, it would save me a lot of time by not having to extract the files.

This is just a feature request, I wasn’t sure where to put this topic.

Feature requests should go in the Ideas Lab, but I’d be amazed if the device had the processing power (or ability) to unrar an .iso on the fly.  It’s working near its limits most of the time as it is.

Should WD waste precious man hours implementing a feature that only benefits people too lazy to unpack their illegal downloads…?  

Open up 7zip (free!) and extract the files.  Problem solved.

1 Like

Your [delete] for assuming I am downloading illegally.

I like to rar my digital copys of my blurays that I purchase, is there a problem with that? I am sure this feature would benefit those who download illegal files as well but that has nothing to do with me.

I could just stop using this prodect and get XMBC and make a HTPC.  Thats the expensive way, but hey… problem solved right?

I came here to suggest a nice feature, [deleted].

There’s not a “problem” with it… it’s just that there’s no apparent point to it.

Whether you rar with or without compression, the video is so highly compressed to start with that you accomplish essentially nothing by raring a video stream.

So, if  your complaint is how long it takes you to unrar them, you could always just not put all that seemingly pointless effort into raring them in the first place.

Even the download rars aren’t compressed any further… they’re just broken into smaller chunks to make things easier to transfer around.

If you’re raring it to a single container with no compression, I see no point to that.  You’re just putting it in a different container which limits playback.  If you’re raring it to several containers with no compression, I see no point to that, for the same reasons.

If you’re raring it with compression, the file size will still end up almost identical because of how compressed video is , so the compressing/decompressing into and out of a .rar just seems like a big ol’ waste of time to accomplish virtually nothing.

Dude I am just suggesting a feature.

And btw, I am sure WD dont give a ■■■■ about illegal downloading, if anything they have made millions off of it…

So many people who download illegal need hard drives, media players etc.  If it wasnt for illegal downloading they might be out of business or no where near where they are at today as a company.

Simpuhl wrote:

I like to rar my digital copys of my blurays that I purchase, is there a problem with that?

Apart from being completely pointless, no. You’re free to complicate things as much as you like.

Simpuhl wrote:

I came here to suggest a nice feature, not speak to someone with over 900 posts with no life.

That’s rich coming from someone wasting time compressing media files and suggesting a feature noone else needs (in the wrong forum no less).

1 Like

Simpuhl wrote:

Dude I am just suggesting a feature.

And btw, I am sure WD dont give a ■■■■ about illegal downloading, if anything they have made millions off of it…

Simpuhl,

That’s where you’re wrong.  If the MPAA comes asking for you IP address, I will gladly give it to them.  Furthermore, for someone that gets abusive the moment anyone questions the legality of his actions, you sure are quick to defend illegal downloading.  These forums are not for discussing the finer points of why you think illegal downloading is okay.  So, I’m closing this thread. 

Put your ideas in the Ideas Lab where they belong.