Rar archive

Just bought the gen 3. wd live hd… its a really great product… only one thing missing which i feel would be real important for it to be the “best”… and that is like topic says the ability to play direct from rar… when do you think WD will make that possinle? Should be their first priority if ýou ask me…

Oh, puhlease.   RAR is only used for torrents, and thus is *FAR* from *ANYONE*'s first priority (except torrent kiddies and pirates…)

Important, LOL!

@TonyPh12345

I know this is an old topic, but I just had to say that you have NO clue as to what you are talking about, and if you cannot understand the benefits of file compression then you should, quite frankly, stop using a computer and give it to someone who can actually benefit from it.

To say that rar files are only used for torrents (by the way, there is an abundance of legal applications which are distributed by torrents for your knowledge, Ubuntu Linux being one of them) is like saying that Gzip files are only used by linux nerds and nobody else would benefit from them.

I could go on and explain my point further, but i feel that any sort of expliantion will be lost on you so I will digress and leave it at this. You Sir, [edited]

X

We’re talking about media files here, not Linux distros. File compression? Dude, media files are ALREADY COMPRESSED. RARing media files makes them LARGER not SMALLER. You just had to open your mouth and show that you are uneducated.

Of course, compression is useful and also used in the majority of legal contexts but that’s not what the OP was going on about. Or at least we can only guess cause he hasn’t bothered to be specific. Does he refer to compressed VobSub subtitles? If so, it’s pointless with todays capacities. Having a 30+ GB BD rip and saving 10 or so MB cause the subs are compressed is ridiculous. Or does he refer to compressed media files, maybe MP3, AVI, M2TS, MKV? That’s even more inane, cause those files are already compressed with special (lossy) codecs that are more efficient than the general-purpose rar algorithm.

The only way it remotely makes sense is with ISO files which due to their structure are compressible. Then again, it’s better to simply remux them to make MKV to lose all the padding. So, I’d rather say the [edited] is you who actually registers to make a point and totally fails at it.

EDIT: LOL, refreshing before posting helps.

**bleep** wrote:

@TonyPh12345

I know this is an old topic, but I just had to say that you have NO clue as to what you are talking about, and if you cannot understand the benefits of file compression then you should, quite frankly, stop using a computer and give it to someone who can actually benefit from it.

To say that rar files are only used for torrents (by the way, there is an abundance of legal applications which are distributed by torrents for your knowledge, Ubuntu Linux being one of them) is like saying that Gzip files are only used by linux nerds and nobody else would benefit from them.

I could go on and explain my point further, but i feel that any sort of expliantion will be lost on you so I will digress and leave it at this. You Sir, are an ■■■■■.

X

You actually registered just to insult somebody. Really, what does that say about you Sir!!