500 GB My Book Mirror Dual SES Driver Problem

OS…Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64…

SES driver didn’t install. The unit is brand new but older USB 500 GB MB Mirror. It was still in the factory plastic but not in the box. In Computer in Windows Explorer I can see the drive by its name, My Book (G). However, there isn’t anything on the drive and as it is I will have no way of knowing in the future if there is a problem or a drive needs replacing. I do think I could copy files to the drive now as I have a right click on the Explorer folder for the drive, but I don’t want to do anything until I feel like I can control what’s happening. I mean, I can’t even verify it’s in RAID 1 at this point, which is what I require. Also, WD Drive Utilities app is asking for me to “Attach a supported WD drive” when I try to open that. In Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation next to “WD SES Device”.

What I have done:
-I first installed the WD Drive Utilities program, and that’s when I saw that SES didn’t install. There was a verification message in a small window. All but SES installed OK. I then uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled and still same thing.
-Uninstalled the driver in Device Manager. I then found the driver online at a WD link and downloaded the 64 bit version for this PC. This didn’t help, either. I see driver files in the Program Files (x86) folder of WDDU. Also, there is even now a 64 bit “Pre-Windows8” version of the driver in /Windows/System32/Drivers. I assume that has been there since the beginning(?).
-Found the drivers in the WD Drive Utilities folder and tried installing via Device Manager by finding the files. I get the message that the driver is the newest. This was to see if this would somehow work better or add another file or whatever. No improvement.
-Tried installing the latest firmware. Nothing happened at all for this. I guess it’s up to date.
-Installed WD SmartWare from the downloads area. That ran OK, but the only option is to create an account with DropBox. Not going to be using online storage with this, so I unistalled WDSW.

I’m back to where I started now and nothing works in Device Manager or any other way. I guess I need the SES driver for the software to recognize the drive, idk.

The Windows error message in Device Manager, when I look at the “Properties” of the driver, says the following:

• Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

No idea what to do. I have looked over answers on the board, but nothing is working. Hoping I can get some current information on how to get the drive up and going.

Thanks for any help. Cool looking product, and I hope I can get it working.

See if this helps you out.

1 Like

Thanks. How can I tell if I have the VCD? The unit is brand new, but it didn’t come with any software disk. I had instructions on how to download the drivers and applications. Would the VCD show up on the drive itself in a folder?

No, the VCD doesn’t show up. The only time it comes into play is when you set up your password on the drive. Or, run the drive utility. However, you don’t need to do either of those in order to use the drive.

Once the drive shows up on your Computer. You can start copying data to it.

1 Like

Ok thanks again.

I was hoping to use one of the apps to keep an eye on data warnings. I have Hard Disk Sentinel, and it sees them both, so I guess I can at least see the health of the drives, which is nice. Btw, this is automatically RAID 1?

I take it then that whatever causes the SES problem is unbeatable.