4TB HDD on WD TV Live GEN 3?

Hi,

I was just wondering if it’s possible to use a 4TB HDD on the 3’rd Generation of WD TV Live?

I today have a 2’nd Gen WD TV Live and it only support 2TB drives.

I want to purchase a 4TB drive and 3’rd Gen WD TV Live to use for video - but I want to know if the 3’rd Gen can read from the HDD before I put it in the basket.

BruceWayne1 wrote:

Hi,

I was just wondering if it’s possible to use a 4TB HDD on the 3’rd Generation of WD TV Live?

I today have a 2’nd Gen WD TV Live and it only support 2TB drives.

I want to purchase a 4TB drive and 3’rd Gen WD TV Live to use for video - but I want to know if the 3’rd Gen can read from the HDD before I put it in the basket.

I know the SMP can handle 3TB drives, but it should work with 4TB drives as well.

1 Like

I have a 4 Tb Hd working very well in SMP since 4 months ago. Excellent.

Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STCA4000100

1 Like

Thanks guys!
What does SMP stand for though? Streaming Media Player?
Meaning that WD TV Live Gen 3 is an SMP?

Yes SMP (streaming media player) is WD live gen3. Would not have to be used if WD had changed the name of each generation model.

1 Like

I’m a bit torn though since some people say that it works with 2TB+ and some says it doesn’t.
I finally got a reply from a reseller of WD TV Live Gen 3. and he says that it has compability issues with 2TB+ drives - but the same time I see that some of you mention that it works fine.

Maybe it’s 2x2TB harddrives in the Seagate external drive?
Would love to hear what Western Digital themselves say about the compability of 3TB/4TB drives - but it seems that I have to already own a product to contact their support.

just another point is it a 3.0usb or 2.0usb my 3tb is usb 3.0usb, ive since done away with all my 2.0 usb drives as they do not seem to be as durable as 3.0usb drives.

It honestly doesn’t matter if I have to get an USB 3 or 2 since I’ll only use it for storage.
But if I can use a 4TB drive on WD TV Live then it will be USB 3 since that’s all I can find :smiley:
Probably be going for WD My Book USB3.0 4TB

It’s just so weird that there is no official information from Westen  Digital how large drive the TV Live support :neutral_face:
I mean I could probably go for a 3TB drive instead if it does support 3TB but not 4TB - I just want to be sure before I purchase something that I have no use for.