43GB Transfer size limit USB 3

Someone knows this issue?

The NAS cannot transfer more than 43GB of data from itself to an external drive connected via integrated USB 3.0 ports.

Any Ideas

Regards

Hi there,

Do you get a specific error when you try this out? I have not seen something like this on my NAS devices.

1 Like

I also transfered over 1TB in one rush.  (several files, not one file whit that size)

regards

1 Like

No it was not a transfer of one file, it was a transfer of multiple files.

Better explanation:

Transfer From the Usb3 Mybook to the NAS connected to the integrated usb port non the nas → OK

Transfer From the NAS to the Usb3 Mybook connected to the integrated usb port non the nas → FAIL

Senza-titolo-1.png

But I’ve found somethin interesting. If you transfer in a folder the error occurs, if you transfer to the root of the MyBook 4TB you have no limitation.

The easier way to transfer files which is A LOT quicker is to use the USB backup option in backups.  With the USB 3.0 Mybook connected to the USB 3 port on the NAS ,  just log into your dashboard and create a job.  The speed is not even comparable.  

I hope this helps get all of your info transfered over.   

Kiwivda wrote:

Someone knows this issue?

The NAS cannot transfer more than 43GB of data from itself to an external drive connected via integrated USB 3.0 ports.

Any Ideas

Regards

The NAS can transfer any many GB as you want via USB. The issue is the file system on the USB drive! I bet your drive is formatted in FAT32 - and the file size limit of FAT32 is 4 Gigabyte per file, looks like that one of these files is greater than 4 GB file size. Reformat the USB drive using NTFS and you can copy single files as large as the whole USB drive.

Joerg_A wrote:

The NAS can transfer any many GB as you want via USB. The issue is the file system on the USB drive! I bet your drive is formatted in FAT32 - and the file size limit of FAT32 is 4 Gigabyte per file, looks like that one of these files is greater than 4 GB file size. Reformat the USB drive using NTFS and you can copy single files as large as the whole USB drive.

Wrong explanation. Nowhere does the OP indicate anything about a file size, so I don’t know where you got the idea that a file bigger than 4 GB is involved. Besides he/she mentions that the copy works when copying to the root of the drive…if it was the case that you are suggesting, then the copy would not have worked at all.

Kiwivda wrote:

But I’ve found somethin interesting. If you transfer in a folder the error occurs, if you transfer to the root of the MyBook 4TB you have no limitation.

Kiwivda - the correct explanation is that somewhere in files that you are copying, you likely have either a file with a very long filename or multiple nested folders (AND maybe a long filename too). Windows imposes a 260 character limit for path length and I would bet you that somehwere in there you have a file that is located in multiple nested folders, causing the path name to the file to exceed that limit. Windows will start the copying but will halt when it comes to that file and that’s what’s goin on here. However, once you reduce the path length by copying to root of MyBook drive, the path length of that files must be coming in just under that limit and therefore has no issues. So try to locate this problem file or folder and see wha you can do to reduce the length of the folder name…rememeber the limit is on the total character size of the path…e.g. E:\long_folder_name1_abcdef\long_folder_name2_ghijkl\long_folder_name3_mnopqr\long_folder_name4_stuv\long_folder_name5_wxyz\long_folder_name6_abcdef\long_folder_name7_ghijkl\long_folder_name8_mnopqr\long_folder_name9_stuv\long_folder_name10_wxyz\

If this help resolve your issue, please click the star under my username to give me a kudo. And mark the post as solved so that others can benefit from this solution.

1 Like