Slow EX2 to USB 3.0 port data transfer

Hi,
I purchased a WD My Cloud EX2, 4 TB (NAS) last month. It has been performing satisfactorily on my gigabit network in RAID 1 (Mirror) mode EXCEPT for the transfer speed when COPYING data from the NAS to a 3.0 external USB drive plugged directly into the NAS USB Port. I have tried both using the windows network AND the BACKUP function in the WD supplied browser application. They both give the same SLOW result (28 MBytes / Sec). My firmware version is 1.05.21.

I opened a support case, but WD’s first response appears to be nothing more than a stock answer to reset the system, update the firmware and do the tests. Apparently I have to go through those before they’ll actually respond directly to the issue I’m having. IMHO, the problem with handling support in that manner could introduce new problems having nothing to do with the original issue. In fact, according to many in this forum, updating the firmware may be asking for more problems.

In going through some of the WD product support suggestions for -  whatever they mean by - “large file transfers”, WD appears to recommend plugging the External USB 3.0 drive into the PC rather than directly into the NAS USB 3.0 port. That seems strange, but I’ll give it a try on the weekend and report back to the forum.

Meanwhile, has anyone experienced the relatively slow USB 3.0 transfer I related above and, if so, has initiating a copy from NAS to USB Drive when the USB 3.0 drive is directly connected to the initiating PC’s USB 3.0 port resolved the transfer speed issue ?

Just as a reference, the transfer speed when COPYING data from a Windows 7 PC to the External USB 3.0 Drive attached to that PC (NAS not involved) is approx. 87 MBytes per second. The transfer speed when copying data directly from the NAS to the Drive (when connected directly to the NAS USB port) is ONLY 28 MBytes per second. The data is made up of 8 total files, two 8 gig files and 6 others for a total of 18.4 gigabytes.

Thanks for your help !!

Welcome to the Community.

Do you experience the same speed when transferring files from your computer into the USB drive when connected to your NAS? 

1 Like

H

Trancer wrote:

Do you experience the same speed when transferring files from your computer into the USB drive when connected to your NAS? 

Haven’t tried copying the other way - will do that this weekend & let you know.

mandacat wrote:

H

Trancer wrote:

Trancer,

It is even slower when copying from the USB 3.0 Drive (Connected to the USB 3.0 NAS port)  to NAS versus NAS to USB Drive. Both speeds are well below USB 3.0 speeds and are from 23 Mbytes/Sec to 28 MBytes/Sec.

There appears to be either a Hardware or Software issue with the NAS USB 3.0 port. Speeds when transferring files to or from the NAS on the LAN are fairly reasonable speeds expected from a gigabit network. They range from 72 MBytes to 62 MBytes / Sec.

A little later, I plan on trying a copy from the NAS to the same USB 3.0 Drive, but this time connected to a PC’s 3.0 port on the Network, rather than connected to the NAS port . This appears to be what WD has suggested in their troubleshooting tips.

Mandacat /Bill

mandacat wrote:

mandacat wrote:

H

Trancer wrote:

Trancer,

It is even slower when copying from the USB 3.0 Drive (Connected to the USB 3.0 NAS port)  to NAS versus NAS to USB Drive. Both speeds are well below USB 3.0 speeds and are from 23 Mbytes/Sec to 28 MBytes/Sec.

There appears to be either a Hardware or Software issue with the NAS USB 3.0 port. Speeds when transferring files to or from the NAS on the LAN are fairly reasonable speeds expected from a gigabit network. They range from 72 MBytes to 62 MBytes / Sec.

A little later, I plan on trying a copy from the NAS to the same USB 3.0 Drive, but this time connected to a PC’s 3.0 port on the Network, rather than connected to the NAS port . This appears to be what WD has suggested in their troubleshooting tips.

Mandacat /Bill

Copying from the NAS to the USB Drive connected to the PC’s USB port is much faster than when the USB Drive is connected to the NAS port.

If this is the WD workaround to the NAS USB 3.0 port speed issues, IMHO its a poor one.

I am experiencing these same slow transfer speeds with USB drive connected directly to the EX2. I expected this to be very fast since it is USB 3 directly to the EX2. Has anyone come up with any solutions?

TheJim wrote:
I am experiencing these same slow transfer speeds with USB drive connected directly to the EX2. I expected this to be very fast since it is USB 3 directly to the EX2. Has anyone come up with any solutions?

Haven’t received any resolution from WD support. If we want faster USB 3.0 transfers, afraid the only solution (at least for now) is the suggested workaround - connect the external USB 3.0 Drive to a networked PC’s 3.0 port and copy to it from the EX2. To get decent speeds, both the EX2 and the PC will need to be on a gigabit network.

It probably doesn’t matter, but what USB 3.0 drive were you copying to?

I’m curious if it’s a chipset thing or not. Since I’m planning to set up the same for my nightlies, this is a problem that greatly concerns me.

MowerPartsGroup wrote:

It probably doesn’t matter, but what USB 3.0 drive were you copying to?

I’m curious if it’s a chipset thing or not. Since I’m planning to set up the same for my nightlies, this is a problem that greatly concerns me.

I used an external usb 3.0 Seagate Slim for all the tests.

JFYI, the drive itself is capable of approx. 90 MBytes/sec when connected to a PC’s USB 3.0 port and copying a 31 Gig file from that drive to the PC’s Sata Drive or vice-versa.