3TB MyCloud

Hi community,

I have a 3TB unit since a year ago as home backup system for 6 computers. It has never worked great but backups were properly done and our music centrally available.

Since about a month ago performance has degradated seriously to the point that backups were not happening. When i realized, I searched for options in the forum but foundnothing. I did the 40s reset in case it was a config problem. Not a good idea. The system is so slow that I have not been able to configure it again after more than 20h! I’ve been able to do a few things -open the ssh, setting up the Twonky server-. 

Now I’m not able to enter in the web scorecard, so I cannot configure Users or shares. The window just shows a blank scorecard with the message “Initializing device” for more than 24 hours …

I’m able to log as root thru ssh, but I’m not a linux expert, although I’m comfortable enough with it.

Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance for your help

Luis

BTW, I sent a message to WD support 2 days ago, but no answer so far

BTW2, Was i too optimistic thinking that a prestigious company like WD would deliver decent quality products?

what firmware version? 

with a lot of media files it can take a very long time to re-index and build thumbnails after the system only restore. and some versions make this even worse

you could try entering the 2 command below in SSH. this dosn’t make any permement changes, they will restart at reboot. If it gets much better my suspision above is correct and it will just take time. to re-enable them either reboot the mycloud or change stop to start in the commands below

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

it stopping the services does not improve performance within 30 minutes then enter the top command in SSH and post the results

1 Like

Hi larryg0

fw is 4.01, updated in November. For some reason 4.02 failed to load, both manually and automatically.

I’ve stopped both services and after some time it enters into the scoreboard.I’ve restarted both services and apparently I can navigate through the web page.

Thanks so far!

I’ve tried to upgrade the fw to the latest version, but with no success. Any operation I do through the web is extremelly slow (i.e. changing language is taking >5min and doesn’t make it :frowning:

Any sugestions?

the dashboard never responds fast, until thing settle down it is painfully slow

4.00xxx seemed to be the worse 4.01.xxx seemed ok

now I’m getting the following error in the web browser:

• Unable to retrieve data. Make sure there are no network connectivity issues and try again. (200005)

• Unknown error. Retry your last operation. If the error persists, contact WD Support for assistance. (200000)

• Your last operation timed out. Make sure there are no network connectivity issues and try again. (200001)

• settings_hdd_standby_time_form_error

• settings_device_timezone_form_error

• settings_remote_access_settings_toggle_form_error

• settings_device_led_form_error

• get_media_server_connected_list_timeout

• settings_media_toggle_dlna_service_form_error

• get_media_server_database_timeout

• get_media_server_connected_list_timeout

• ssh_form_error

• get_internet_access_timeout

• factory_restore_form_error

• settings_time_machine_form_error

• network_ftp_form_error

• network_workgroup_form_error

• settings_device_ntp_form_error

• network_lan_configuration_form_error

• settings_toggle_itunes_service_form_error

• firmware_info_form_error

• factory_restore_form_error

• diagnostics_tests_form_error

• ssh_form_error

• usb_devices_form_error

• network_ftp_form_error

• auto_system_updates_form_error

• network_ftp_form_error

• diagnostics_tests_form_error

Question: Have you ever made a Safepoint to backup your My Cloud?