2 brand new easystore 5TB drives faulty, need help

I recently bought a easystore 5 TB for backup/storage from Best Buy. As soon as I took it out of the box and tried to use it the first time, I got a scan and fix message on my Windows 10 PC. I followed the prompts and then proceeded but then the drive would click every several seconds, and the transfer speed was practically zero. I was concerned because not only has this never happened before with a brand new drive, but never with a WD drive (which I own several already). I did various diagnostic scans, and they’d all come up good. I tried different USB ports. I tried to reformat. Rebooted computer. Even tried plugging it into an older pc I use for media streaming with Windows 7 and get the exact same result. So all I could come up with was that it was defective and I went to exchange it. I’m even more surprised that the replacement did the exact same thing the original did. So I’m confused and concerned. What are the odds that two brand new drives are defective? I even considered that maybe my PC’s were the problem but between doing diagnostic scans on them and plugging in older WD hard drives, everything is fine. I’m at a loss on what is left to do or even what to do. I’m now worried if I keep buying hard drives that are defective and need to be replaced if and when I’ll find one that works. Or to trust it enough to not worry. Along with making constant exchanges/returns to the store. I’m working on coming up with other backup/storage options like a cloud service, but I’d like to get this figured out if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.