1st Gen My Cloud | My Cloud OS5 - Possible 2 Upgrade? Worth Considering?

I have a 4GB My Cloud - First Gen (WDBCTL0040HWT) and I am concerned about the security since my ISP has indicated that it has successfully blocked several attempts from IP addresses located in other countries just recently and suggested I make sure firmware was up to date on my device. As far as I can tell, it is for my WD My Cloud 1st. Gen Model. A couple of Questions.

1. Is it possible to update firmware from this Gen1 model to My Cloud OS5 and should I be trying to do this? Here is what I have:

The Current Version WDMyCloud v04.05.00-342 : Core F/W
Last Update Wednesday, October 02, 2019 6:57:42 AM

1. I do not believe that I am able to upgrade my firmware any higher in order to migrate to a higher OS that may? afford better protection? Am I overthinking this? Are there any recommendations that the WD Community might have?
1 Like

No it is not currently possible to upgrade a first generation (v4.x firmware) single bay My Cloud to OS5. Only the second generation v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud are able to upgrade. No one cannot upgrade their first gen v4.x firmware single bay My Cloud to use the v2.x firmware used by the second generation single bay My Cloud.

Read through the OS5 subforum, many are having various issues with the OS5 firmware and some have resorted to having to downgrade back to OS3 to fix those issues or lost of features.

The first generation single bay My Cloud is End of Software Updates. Which likely means no further firmware updates. The last v4.x firmware update was 9/4/2019.

The only real way to deal with updating the security of the first generation single bay My Cloud is to download the latest GPL source code for v4.x firmware and roll your own firmware after updating all the Linux modules used by the firmware. Unofficially one could attempt to put a different OS (seach the subforum for discussions on how to do so) onto the first gen My Cloud but that carries the same issues, updates. Those alternate OS’s could carry the same vulnerabilities.

For security sake. The best one can do if they continue to use a first gen single bay My Cloud, if they don’t roll their own firmware for the first gen, is make sure their network firewall is locked down. That remote access/cloud access on their My Cloud is disabled/off. That FTP is off. That SSH is off. Use SSH to hack the firmware to disable/hide/remove the Public Share. Configure all Shares to Private and not Public. And that one uses strong passwords for all users and limit their access and their permissions to unneeded Shares. If one has an advanced capability network firewall one could configure that firewall to block all outbound and inbound traffic to the My Cloud as a further isolation method. Of course all of this reduces or eliminates the remote access capabilities of the My Cloud and it’s “cloud” features. One can use a VPN server to work around to regain remote access to a My Cloud after locking down access to it. Using a VPN server typically requires additional knowledge and skill to properly setup and configure.

The reality is one’s public facing IP address/broadband IP address is subject to hackers and scans and intrusion attempts every second of every day so long as you have an active broadband connection. This is why it is important to make sure one’s network router is up to date with the latest firmware updates and one disables any unneeded features or potential security risk features (UPnP, port forwarding, WPS, etc.). One should be using strong WiFi passwords, and disabling any and all open WiFi networks that may be active on the network WiFi router/mesh system. Do not let unknown persons or their devices access one’s local network. If one must, create a separate guest WiFi network (if one can) that is isolated from the main LAN/WiFi network. Put all IoT (Internet of Things) devices onto a separate WiFi network isolated from the main LAN if possible. There is much more security hardening one can do, but those are the basic steps.

2 Likes

I also have a 4GB 1st Gen that keeps disconnecting from my LAN, even though I assigned static IP address on both WD Access and my router. The power is on and the LAN indicator lights flicker, but I have to hard reset (remove power) at least once a day. It seems to go into hang state…no access via network share, WD Access or IP address via browser.

I was hoping OS5 may resolve this but now it seems as if I may have to live with this bug. Any other suggestions how this can be resolved? Downgrade to earlier (stable) OS version?

It should not be set in both places. Either reserve an IP address within the router’s DHCP server settings OR set a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network page. If the same IP address is set in both locations at the same time that may cause a conflict leading to issues.

The other troubleshooting step is to, if possible, look at the router logs to see if there is any indication of network issues at the time the My cloud disconnects from the LAN. Likewise one can export the My Cloud logs using the My Cloud Dashboard > Help > Support section and review the log files to see if there is any reason or cause for the disconnection from the network LAN.

Considering all the OS5 issues (and some loss of OS3 features) being reported by gen 2 single bay My Cloud users, anyone with a second gen single bay My Cloud should have serious pause before upgrading to OS5. Gen 1 single bay My Cloud units cannot be updated to OS5. The first gen single bay My Cloud is End of Updates anyhow.

WD Product Software Support Status
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28740

1 Like

Thanks Bennor! will check the router. I have a 3TB 2ng Gen setup in the same way (same IP config & to same switch) but it works 100%, no disconnection issues, so it must be something with 1st Gen software.

Sadly, I upgraded the 3TB to OS5 just yesterday…hope it doesn’t cause too many issues…