18.5MB transfer speeds on gigabit LAN

I have been going through a lot of posts here and around the rest of the internet. Outside of this forum the info seems to be from 2015 and earlier so I have been taking it with a grain of salt. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P router with all gigabit ports. I have removed my gigabit switch because I have tried to go to bare bones. (nothing else is plugged in, just PC and My Cloud Home) I have a brand new computer with an Intel gigabit port and a realtek 2.5gbe port. I have tried both of these ports. I have gone in and enabled Jumbo files, disabled Large Send Offload (both IPv4 and 6), and even disabled auto tuning through the command prompt. I turned off every power saving option I could find both in power management and the individual device configurations in the device manager advanced tab. My router lists both my computer and my My Cloud Home are connected with a 1000MB connection. I have gone into my My Cloud Home settings and disabled the PLEX server to make sure it hasn’t been indexing non-stop since I installed it 5 weeks ago.

I have yet to see transfer speeds higher than 18.5MB/s and feel that it is kind of ridiculous to wait almost 4 minutes to move a 3GB file with today’s technology. I have seen posts and videos of people actually getting up to 90MB/s speeds on this device and I have to wonder if it could be something wrong with my network or if I just wasted ~$200 on a device that is almost what I wanted.

I do like the ability to get to the drive when I am not home, and I can still stream content at home, but it should be better. This drive should have been more than I needed for just me and my storage needs, hence why I did not go out and buy a diskless NAS for $400 + drives. The only thing I have yet to try that I have seen in these forums is disabling the internet connection. I would hate to think that even with a connection status of “Local” that my files would be uploading and then downloading again. I would have so many issues with that, privacy (where is this data routing through and what are they logging from it) and this could go against my softcap explaining some major ISP throttling I have experienced lately.

Anyway, should I expect more from this drive?

1 Like

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15542

18.5 MB/s on large file. Restart does not help.

1 Like

Hi!

I have the same problem. It worked fine for a year. After the latest update the speed dropped for me as well. Now a get around 16 MB/s. For a few weeks ago the transfer speed was around 70 MB/s.
Device: WD My Cloud Home 3TB with Firmware 7.1.0-101
Link speed in router: 1000Mbit/s, tried new cables etc.

Hope they will fix it in a update?

1 Like

So… My Cloud Home 8TB came in today…

My first setup was kinda bad (had 3 routers between PC and Cloud).
Now, there’s only 1 Asus RT-AC68U router between my PC & Cloud, and the speed is still 18.3MBps. It is this for small and big files. Biggest file i had was 98GB, took 1 hour and 35 minutes…

Using a freaking High-Speed PC, 64-Bits, Gigabyte internet Cat6, Gigabyte Router, etc etc to boost the performance…

And it’s still low. HELP?

1 Like

same problem since firmware update speeds steady at 18.5mb/sec
refresh reset did not work, or better worked for a few minutes
my drive has nly 40 gb left - perhaps it is related to the drive being full ???
honestly i think that since this occurred since the firmware update - the problem may
be coming from there

martin

1 Like

I have 1.5TB left on my drive… 16-18MB/s

1 Like

I purchased a new MCH device 2 days ago. I too am getting transfer rates of around 18.5MB/s and I suspect the issue is with the Windows/KDD application. The following explains why I suspect Windows/KDDFS interface (noting I’ve only had the MCH for two days and still trying to understand what it does and how it works).

I understand the MCH supports two file systems… NTFS and KDD.

NTFS (which is native to Windows) is used on the MCH for the “Public” folder. Transferring to this Public folder using Windows Explorer, Task Manager shows the Windows Explorer task reading the data off the disk (an external USB drive, nothing exceptional) at 83.8MB/s and then transfer that data at 693.1Mbit/s over the network (1GB/s wired LAN connection to a dedicated 1GB/s switch to the MCH connected at 1GB/s).

KDD (definitely not native to Windows) is used on the MCH for the “secured” personal folder, mapped to Windows as drive Z:. When transferring the data to a personal folder (Z:) on the MCH, Windows Explorer reads off the disk (same USB drive) at 18.2MB/s but doesn’t send to the network. Instead, a different process, “KDD” (part of the WD Desktop App), is responsible for the data transfer over the LAN at 149.8Mbit/s.

I understand that the KDD process may be dealing with higher security protocols, but a 78% hit on performance is not very flattering. WD need to improve their game.

This test shows that the MCH is capable of data transfer rates of at least 83MB/s, meaning the throttling issue is not being caused by the network setup or disk throughput. At 83MB/s, I’m comfortable with that, noting that was writing to the MCH. I suspect that the MCH is capable of more.

I will do more testing later to try and determine if the bottleneck is the Windows/KDD end or at the MCH end (and maybe try to max it out)

2 Likes

A couple of more time trials… Attached the USB external drive (NTFS formatted) to the MCH and copied files using the My Cloud app. Transfer rate was around 87MB/s. No problems there.

Added files from the Windows computer to the “secured” personal folder on the MCH using the My Cloud Home web interface (using Brave browser). Transfer rate was worse than using Windows Explorer

WD: Is there any solution for this problem? New firmware ? It’s more threads were they are talking about low transferspeeds.