1.04.17_B firmware on WDTV Live Plus BUG - breaks wireless compatability with Airlink 101

I have the Airlink Model AWLL5077 (Ver. 0200) wireless adapter, which is on the supported wireless adapter list for the WDTV Live Plus.  Unfortunately, after upgrading to 1.04.17_B my device no longer recognizes this wireless adapter.  I’ve rolled back the firmware to 1.02.21 and it’s working again.

The Airlink wireless adapter works up through firmware 1.04.10; however, 1.04.10 does not work with Playon.  Fortunately, WD fixed the playon compatibility issue with 1.04.17 however they broke compatibility with the Airlink at the same time.  SIGH.

Could someone from WD please respond with an anticipated timeline (even a rough estimate) about when a bug-fix firmware update will be coming to correct this problem?  I do not have the option of running a wired connection to this particular WDTV (I have 2 and the other does have a wired connection) and I purchased the Live Plus relying upon WD’s statement that it is compatible with my wireless adapter.  Content updates via firmware are nice but worthless if you dump support for previously supported wireless adapters at the same time.

I’m hopeful that this will be corrected soon.  Look forward to WD’s reply.

I have the same issue with 2 of my devices and the same wireless adapter.  I ran out to purchase another wireless adapter on the list and that didn’t work either.  Pretty frustrating that there is no download available for the previous firmware version.  WD—please help and correct the issue.  I have 3 of your devices (1 is wired, 2 are wireless and are rendered useless now without the wireless capability).  This is a huge issue that will affect many of your customers.  Please fix it asap.

jmcboiler22 wrote:

I have the same issue with 2 of my devices and the same wireless adapter.  I ran out to purchase another wireless adapter on the list and that didn’t work either.  Pretty frustrating that there is no download available for the previous firmware version.  WD—please help and correct the issue.  I have 3 of your devices (1 is wired, 2 are wireless and are rendered useless now without the wireless capability).  This is a huge issue that will affect many of your customers.  Please fix it asap.

Try this

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvliveplus_limitedpublicbetarelease/

• Resolved issue with Airlink Golden 150 and D-link DWA 131 Wi-fi adaptors not working with 1.04.17_B.

I’ve installed the beta firmware above (1.0.4.18_B), and it still does not work with my Airlink 150.  Bummer.  At least I don’t care about playon, so I can go back to 1.0.4.10 :P.

linuxturtle wrote:

I’ve installed the beta firmware above (1.0.4.18_B), and it still does not work with my Airlink 150.  Bummer.  At least I don’t care about playon, so I can go back to 1.0.4.10 :P.

Did you try resetting the WDTV after you updated the firmware.

Did you try resetting the WDTV after you updated the firmware.

No, I didn’t.  Silly me, I thought since the update rebooted the thing twice, that’d be sufficient.  But sure enough, after a reset, the wireless works again.  I should have read the update instructions more carefully, as those instructions even say to reset the device.  Perhaps I’ll make meringue from the egg on my face :wink:.  Thanks richUK!