YouTube app causing device to reboot

Hi 

I have just bought WD TV live and unit resets when using youtube - it seems when I have playlists streaming from my phone. Has this issue been resolved or is there a work around?

PS I am running 1.16.13

Bump.

They will NEVER fix this issue.  My advice is sell the box to some poor sap on Ebay.  Thats how I ended up with this pile of garbage WD calls a TV box.  I bought someone else’s mistake and now I am out 60 bucks because WD won’t fix the issue thats been there since JUNE.

It’s been fixed!

Check out this post for download details

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

I am having the same problem

Sorry double post and can’t find the delete button.

The new firmare is out that corrects this issue. The update link was down at some point so it may be easier to download it from the link below and load it to a thumb drive the plug  it into your player. I did it on 2 players and both worked perfectly. Improvents all round! Faster response times, super new Youtube Leanback app and others.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Just wanted to chip in here! I took delivery of my new WD TV Live on Friday and during the install allowed the unit to update the firmware to the latest version 2.01.86.

This evening my SMP rebooted the moment I clicked on the YouTube Leanback Icon, this was the first time I had tried using it too! It did this twice more during the course of the evening and once more when clicking on the Dailymotion icon, clearly this issue is NOT fixed. Additionally when using the YouTube service I find that there is no way to exit and choose a different service. The back button does not work as expected and the only way to quit is to click the home button which is counterintuitive if you want to choose a different service.

I know someone will ask…, yes I have reset the unit, I did this around 10 times on day 2 as the whole unit kept freezing.

From a newcomers point of view this is very disappointing and since this product has been around for 3 or more years I would have thought that WD would have found fixes for these annoyances by now. One has to wonder if this unit ever made it to the test benches before launch or was it just rolled out on a ‘**bleep** it and see basis’?  I wonder if perhaps WD have thrown in the towel and allowed these problems to beat them?! Not a very encouraging start to our relationship!

I’m just debating now whether to return the unit to Amazon for a refund which would be a real shame because when the unit does work I quite like it.

Fingers crossed someone from WD actually reads these posts and gathers information about these problems. It’s one thing to have a user forum but if WD have lost interest what hope have any of us got in solving these issues?

I live in hope!

You’re right. We need to start a new thread though as this has been offically closed. I get frequent restarts when I try to access the YTLB app but the app itself has yet to crash once started which is a massive improvement.

Slinky_McVelvet wrote:

Just wanted to chip in here! I took delivery of my new WD TV Live on Friday and during the install allowed the unit to update the firmware to the latest version 2.01.86.

This evening my SMP rebooted the moment I clicked on the YouTube Leanback Icon, this was the first time I had tried using it too! It did this twice more during the course of the evening and once more when clicking on the Dailymotion icon, clearly this issue is NOT fixed. Additionally when using the YouTube service I find that there is no way to exit and choose a different service. The back button does not work as expected and the only way to quit is to click the home button which is counterintuitive if you want to choose a different service.

I know someone will ask…, yes I have reset the unit, I did this around 10 times on day 2 as the whole unit kept freezing.

From a newcomers point of view this is very disappointing and since this product has been around for 3 or more years I would have thought that WD would have found fixes for these annoyances by now. One has to wonder if this unit ever made it to the test benches before launch or was it just rolled out on a ‘**bleep** it and see basis’?  I wonder if perhaps WD have thrown in the towel and allowed these problems to beat them?! Not a very encouraging start to our relationship!

I’m just debating now whether to return the unit to Amazon for a refund which would be a real shame because when the unit does work I quite like it.

Fingers crossed someone from WD actually reads these posts and gathers information about these problems. It’s one thing to have a user forum but if WD have lost interest what hope have any of us got in solving these issues?

I live in hope!

We do pay attention to issues that we find on the community.  Once we see that others are having the same issue, we do pass them along for review.  [edit]  I passed your issue along.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for passing on my comments! :slight_smile:

Apologies if I sounded like I was having a rant previously, as I mentioned, I only bought this unit on Friday last week and in all honesty it’s been a bitter disappointment given all the problems I’ve experienced so far. I’ve always trusted WD as a reputable name in my household and have several WD products which I have always been very happy with.

I only hope that WD do the honorable thing and see this project through until it is working properly. I would be very sad if a new product supersedes this one and our money has been wasted.

Fingers crossed a satisfactory resolution will be reached in the near future.

Kind regards! :wink:

Hi All,

I just wanted to add an update to this post since I am still experiencing problems with YouTube.

I used the ‘YouTube’ Service last night to watch a full length feature film and all seemed ok at first. That was until
the movie had finished and I pressed the ‘Home Button’ to quit the YouTube Service, then my problems returned!!! The WD TV SMP became totally unresponsive and I could not navigate either left or right in the Homepage menu. I’ve noticed when this happens there seems to be delay in response from the unit and these delays can vary from a minute to almost an hour rendering the unit unusable.

Does the WD TV Live Media Player buffer media into any in-built memory before it is played? From the way the unit behaves it’s almost as if this memory does not flush itself after you exit YouTube and then any new commands from the user just overload it’s capacity to deal with them. This could certainly explain it’s slow ‘laggy’ behaviour.

I will watch another long movie on YouTube again tonight and see if this
issue is repeatable.

I don’t know if this is at all relevant but I will continue to post my findings in the hope that it might peak someones interest.

After Friday nights issue with YouTube locking up and freezing my SMP and after a lenghty wait of some 40 or so minutes I did eventually manage to shut the SMP down.

However…, when I turned on my SMP last night (Saturday) the SMP was still in a locked and unuseable state! Each press of the remote buttons took anything from 1 minute to almost 10 before the entered command were actioned!!! This is extremely frustrating as this is now happening far too often. The only saving grace is that I now know that if I do manage to turn the SMP off again, also removing the power lead seems to cure this problem until the next time.

Having trawelled through the plethora of problems aired in these forums the one thing that is very clear is that some people have no problems whilst others have loads. I now seriously considering the notion that WD have released a bad batch of units into the market which they perhpas were not aware of. Either that or the components inside are not up to spec.

I will sit tight until the next firmware release and if that does not resolve my issues I will return the SMP as ‘Not Fit For Purpose’ .

If you look at the firmware update history, it will be at least 6 months till the next. Best keep this in mind.

Thanks Col!

I only bought it just over a week ago so still time to change my mind. WD have emailed me about the issue and have asked for a log file of my console if it does it again. I have already started looking at other options but I will give WD chance to resolve my issues first.

Cheers!

You are not the only one with those problems in YTLN.

Please read about that and other YTLN (FW 2.01.86) bugs here:

Youtube LeanBack - Many new bugs after FW update 2.01.86

Could you please tell us how to read the log file they asked you?

Hello Mr.Wolf,

Your user name makes me feel like one of those little pigs, LOL!!

Thanks for the heads-up on that other thread, I’ve posted a comment there and asked if these two post can be merged since they are essentially about he same issue.

Sadly I cannot tell you how to read the log as I have only just created mine using notepad. No doubt when the unit next crashes I will have a better idea of what is says. WD have asked me to email the log back to them.

Watch this space for an update!

Cheers.

I’m not related to the “big bad wolf”. LOL

Heh heh…, LOL, I’ve just placed an order for a truck load of bricks too! Bet you can’t blow that house down?! :smileyvery-happy:

Mr-Wolf wrote:> Could you please tell us how to read the log file they asked you?

Sorry I forgot to say…, I experienced yet another YouTube crash & reboot this evening! It happened immediately upon clicking the YouTube APP to launch it. Thankfully my SMP has generated 2x console logs which I have uploaded back to WD for their attention. Fingers crossed the y find the culprit!

For your interest the console log is not written to the ‘TXT’ file which I placed on my USB stick earlier. The SMP generates a seperate log file which is encrypted and stored on the USB drive as “log.yyyymmddhhmmss”

I have tried opening it using Windows Notepad but all you see is a jumble of Chinese characters!

If any Moderators are reading can you please merge this post with this one as they are essentially the same issues?!

Youtube LeanBack - Many new bugs after FW update 2.01.86

Many thanks