Wont see all files in folder over a share

I have my WD Live networked to my PC.  They connect fine, no issues.

For a few folders, not all, the WD Live wont see everything in the folder.    For 1 folder of tv shows, there are about 41 files. The Live will only see 32 of them. Same issue in lots of folders, but different numbers.  Another show has 98 files, but the Live only shows like 52.

I tried moving them around on the PC, playing with subfolders, etc.   Doesnt help much.  If I make 2 subfolders under that tv show’s main folder, 1 I put in the majority of the files, and in the 2nd I put in all the files it wasnt seeing before, then the Live will see them just fine, and they play back fine. But if I put them all in one subfolder, then it wont see any media.

Rebooting either device, reconnecting, I even replaced the PC’s hard drive with a new one (was doing this anyway), so all the media was copied to a new drive, which was then reshared.   Nothing changes it.    Sharing the folder separately from the larger share also doesnt work. 

And its only for a few folders as far as I’ve noticed, not everywhere, though it could be most. There seems to be no logic to it.

And for the **bleep** of it, I tried connecting to the pc with my bluray player, that seems to also have the same issuse, it wont show the exact same files.   But I dont get how the pc side could have any issue, its just files in a folder. And when the networking/share works fine, why would they just not see all the files?

Thanks

That points directly at being a PERMISSIONS problem wth the individual files.

1 Like

I checked, its all the same as the files that read fine.  And again, if I separate them into a new folder, doing nothing else, they work fine.  I just tried moving all the files into a brand new folder outside the one they were in, same thing.

I have the same thing. Example:

I have a folder with 42 subfolders inside. Suddenly I can see only 26 top subfolders in it. If I split this folder into 2 separate ones (21 subfolders in each) I can see all of them.

I tried create brand new folder with different name and copy everything thre. Same story happens: only 26 top subfolders are visible. I double checked permissions, change the name of my computer, tried different settings in WD, reset device to factory settings etc. and nothing helps!

I have more cases like this on my share. What I noticed this happened to me after I upgraded to latest release 1.04.17_V. However downgrading to previous version doesn’t solve the issue.

I’m really stuck and annoyed about this… HELP please!

BTW. See this thread: looks like there are more issues like this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-04-17-V-for-WD-TV-Live-12-30-10/m-p/142276

I have exactly the same problem.  In a folder with 44 subfolders, only the first 36 folders are displayed.  The others are definitely there, but it’s as if the WD TV Live has forgotten all the letters of the alphabet after “T”.

Strangely, this only happens to this one particular folder.  The contents of other folders with even more subfolders are all displayed correctly. No “read only” problems – all of the subfolders have exactly the same permissions.  Moving the subfolders into a new folder did not fix the problem either.

I am having the same issues, has anyone solved this yet?

None of my movie names between h-q are showing up but if I make a seperate folder and put just those movies in it they will show up and play but as soon as I put all my movies back together the h-q movies disappear again. I have tried installing the new beta firmware 1.04.22_v and I still have the same issues.

Would love to get this fixed as it has been bugging me since yesterday.

… hm, same here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/shared-folders/td-p/142134

… update: I’m not sure but I think the problem is under shared folder-properties-sharing-share … now, there’s 3 names, 2 of them with read/write permission level and 1 with read permission level … I noticed fourth with Owner permission level, when deleted, that name always appear again and again … go figure

Yeah I also noticed that I have tried everything and messed with all my shared settings over and over again and have not got it to work, but I know it has to be something there since I have no problems with any of my Xbox’s streaming my videos (to bad 360 doesn’t stream MKV) , they all show up just fine, but I can’t get them to all show on WDTV. My problem also just seam to start out of nowhere the reason I mainly noticed is I watched part of a movie Monday night and went to finish it on Wednesday and the movie wasn’t listed anymore and I noticed a lot of my movies where missing and the closer I look now I have movies missing in numerous folders not just one.

I’m just about done with WDTV and that’s unfortunate because I really liked it, but today will be the last day I spend wasting my time trying to fix it if I can’t get it today I will be returning it (thankfully I bought it from Costco) and going with a different media player.  

… well, only way to fix that, as for me at least, is to create another empty New Folder under that problematic folder and then move all “invisible” files inside that new folder, now I can see them …

I have been having the exact same issue… I even tried the B-RAD firmware and no difference.

I also noticed in a folder with about 700 movie files in that as I scroll through the number of files at the top of the list changes constantly. Is this a problem with windows 7 or with WDTV ?? 

I do not have the problem accessing the windows machine from My Mac, but have the same issue accessing it from Ubuntu… Maybe it is how linux access samba shares ??

It has to be a WDTV thing. I never had problems before and have been running Win 7 for a while now and it can’t be a shared file setting because the shares work fine if I put the “non working files” in their own folder but as soon as I mix them back together in a folder they disappear again, they are however listed on my computer under network just not listed on the WDTV.

Like I said earlier if there is no way to fix this by this weekend I will be returning my WDTV and going with another brand. I know I can make seperate folders and list the files that way but I’m not going to go through all my folders and try to figure out what is and isn’t listed and make special folders within all my folders.

I also have an LG dvd player that can play from network shares.  The SAME EXACT issue is on there as well.  The same files wont show up.

Which means its an issue with the share or router, and not the WDTV.   Though I have no idea how or what would do such a thing.

I have the same problem (with WDTV I can see only 10 files of 18), BUT other devices can see all files in folder! This means that it is WD TV Live mistake.

Win 7 Ultimate

Firmware 1.04.22_V

share via wifi

I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with the most recent updates, and am networking to my WD Live via an ethernet crossover cable. The WD Live has the most recent firmware installed.

My WD Live logs into my PC with its own username and password, and can see almost everything shared with that user. And by almost everything, I mean that it is doing the exact same thing everyone in this thread is having problems with: showing only 42 out of 76 folders, or 37 out of 73 files, where the missing folders and files are sequential as sorted by name.

So, in the case of my Movies folder, “Outbreak” to “Wizard People, Dear Reader” are missing (although “Office Space” and “Zoolander” were found…). In the case of my TV Shows folder, the WD Live box ironically fails to display the folders that follow “Lost”. The omissions appear to be random, in that no discernable pattern of file name, type, size, or folder name, type, or size can be determined.

This problem did not occur until recently, but due to a lack of usage, I cannot be certain if installing SP1 on the Windows side or a newer firmware update on the WD Live side caused these problems to surface.

I have no other media devices, but when using the same username and password to login to my PC from any other Windows PC, all files and folders are displayed correctly.

It is probably the craziest networking issue I’ve ever encountered, so any help is appreciated, and if I figure anything out I’ll post it here.

How about this for weird:

If I place an underscore in front of a subfolder’s name, like “_Lost”, then refresh the subfolder list by going back once and then back in to the main folder, the WD Live no longer shows it, but instead shows the next subfolder in the list, “Louie”. By underscoring out multiple folders, the WD Live shows a completely different incomplete set of folders. If I remove the underscores and thereby restore the original folder names, the problem reverts back to showing the same incomplete list it did before I underscored out anything.

This behaviour is similar for files, except that underscoring does not always remove a file from the list; however, a period before the original filename does (e.g., " . Zoolander"). When I period out Zoolander, the previously hidden “Wizard People” becomes visible after refreshing the file list.

What the flip!

AdamR wrote:

If I place an underscore in front of a subfolder’s name, like “_Lost”, then refresh the subfolder list by going back once and then back in to the main folder, the WD Live no longer shows it,

This behaviour is similar for files, except that underscoring does not always remove a file from the list; however, a period before the original filename does (e.g., " . Zoolander"). When I period out Zoolander, the previously hidden “Wizard People” becomes visible after refreshing the file list.

What the flip!

Not sure about the UNDERSCORE, but the decimal in the front makes sense. 

The WD boxes and most NAS boxes are running LINUX.    A Period in front of a file name (or folder) denotes a HIDDEN FILE.

The question is why does hiding ONE file make ANOTHER file appear.

I would LOVE to see a WireShark capture of this happening…

I can’t reproduce this problem for myself.   All my media show up.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

AdamR wrote:

If I place an underscore in front of a subfolder’s name, like “_Lost”, then refresh the subfolder list by going back once and then back in to the main folder, the WD Live no longer shows it,

What the flip!

Not sure about the UNDERSCORE, but the decimal in the front makes sense. 

The WD boxes and most NAS boxes are running LINUX.    A Period in front of a file name (or folder) denotes a HIDDEN FILE.

The question is why does hiding ONE file make ANOTHER file appear.

I would LOVE to see a WireShark capture of this happening…

I can’t reproduce this problem for myself.   All my media show up.

… what we need to do? … however, I strongly believe this issue is not wd tv live related …

Alright, let me give this a go:

Wireshark for turning on the device: wireshark pcap 1 ( alt link)

Wireshark for browsing the Movies folder: wireshark pcap 2 ( alt link)

Wireshark for browsing the Movies folder with the last two visible movies in the list hidden via periods: wireshark pcap 3 ( alt link)

It does indeed look messy. Note that the PC is at 192.168.137.1, the WD Live is at 192.168.137.2, both devices use the PC IP for DNS and WINS, subnet is 255.255.255.0. The WD Live can also access the internet for streaming via a shared wireless connection on the PC end. Each is using the other as default gateway.

In file 3, you’ll see that it pulled the list of files twice, but the WD Live displayed “No Media Found”, so I had to back out of the connection to the PC and then re-access the shared folder.

Let me know if you see anything of interest, or if my links only work for me, or if I did my first wireshark captures badly! Thanks!!

Apparently all the errors were created by the Realtek network adapter, so following the advice at Folding Forum, I disabled all checksum offloading options. This resolves all of the bad header checksum errors, but does not resolve the incomplete file/folder list problem.

The PCAPs are fine.   Don’t worry about the TCP checksum errors; you’re right, it’s caused by CRC offload.   But I configure my WireShark to ignore those.   :wink:

BTW, fill me in:   What movies do NOT appear that should?    What movies then DO appear when you hid “Office Space” and “Zoolander?”

1 Like