Wont see all files in folder over a share

What should appear including the embarrassing stuff my wife added…

What does appear with the missing files in red

What appears when I hide Zoolander and Office Space by putting a period in front of them

Thank you for even taking the time to help me investigate!

Edit:

I decided to take out some variables and instead populate a folder with 0 kb dummy files to see what happens under controlled conditions, and I get:

What should appear vs What does appear

meaning that the problem can be replicated easily should troubleshooting require consistent filenames and types.

Ok, first off, I am *NOT* a SAMBA expert.    But to me, it looks like a server side problem, which is scary, because it’s Windows 7 and MS *WROTE* the SMB specification.  

Follow along with me in your PCAP file “WDLive Enter Video Folder with Hidden.pcap”

In Packet 167, the WD says “FIND_FIRST2, Pattern: \*” which means, give me a list of EVERY FILE.

In Packet 168, the server responds with:

…

.Office Space.avi

.Zoolander.avi

Agora.mp4

Antichrist.avi

… down to

Clerks II.mkv

In packet 169, which is a continuation of data from packet 168, it responds with:

Exit Through the Gift Shop.avi

Fantastic Mr. Fox

…    down to

How to Train your Dragon.mkv   (which is NOT in any of your lists?)

In packet 170, which is ANOTHER continuation of Packet 169, it responds with:

I Saw the Devil.mp4

Interview with The Vampire.avi

… down to

Muppets Christmas Carol.avi

In packet 172, the WDTV tells the server “FIND_NEXT2, Continue: Muppets Christmas Carol.avi” which means, Send me more, the last one I got was “Muppets Christmas Carol.avi”.

The server responds with Wizard People, Dear Reader.mkv.

It does NOT continue with Outbreak, as it should have.  Also, in the reponse, the “END OF SEARCH” flag is set to ONE, which means that the SERVER has said “That’s all.   There’s no more files.”

Now.   There’s one exigent circumstance I’m not familiar with.    When the WD starts the SECOND search it’s actually saying “DO NOT RESUME.   This is a NEW SEARCH.”   I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.   But even though it’s marked as a NEW SEARCH, the SERVER is still responding with the WRONG data.

So, in short, the list returned by the Server matches exactly the list shown by your WD…  The Server NEVER sent the missing file names.    I can’t be sure that the reason wasn’t because the WD asked the WRONG WAY, but…

1 Like

I modified the lists for privacy reasons before uploading them, so don’t worry about THAT. (And also sorry, as that just adds confusion… and you posted the filenames of the files I removed anyway, necessarily). I should… probably… take down those links… :neutral_face:

Anyway! I would have to guess that, at some point, and probably to resolve a security hole, Microsoft could have broken SMB. Although, I would expect anyone networked to a Win 7 machine to have the same problem if that were the case… and there’s only a couple of people following this thread.

Thank you for your help, at least I have a rough idea of what is going on and what to troubleshoot (namely, my Win 7 configuration). If I come up with anything, I’ll let you know, since it may be useful info.

Alright, so, assuming that for any number of reasons, SAMBA is partially broken using my current Windows 7 x64 SP1 setup, I’ve decided to avoid that pile of problems altogether and instead run a media server.

So, using the PS3 Media Server Beta ( found here), the WDTV Live box finds everything it is supposed to, and generally finds and lists everything way faster than it was when using network shares. However, I’ve noticed some minor playback issues that were not present when playing from a network share. Nothing major though.

From various forum posts here and around the web, I’d say any of the free media server programs should do the trick for anyone with these or other networking problems (which mostly likely come from Windows 7, and not the WD box). PS3 Media Server Beta has built in WDTV Live support, as does Tversity, and probably most of the others by now.

RESOLVED…

For my system: Windows 7 32 Bit and Avast Antivirus 6,

But I think it’s the same for the Windows 7 64 Bit and Avast Antivirus 6.

1. Download from Avast site the pre-release (beta version) 6.0.1044

2. Simply install over the previous version

3. Restart The system

links of pre-release:

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1044/setup_av_free.exe

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1044/setup_av_pro.exe

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1044/setup_ais.exe

Have nice day!

3 Likes

wdgio, you are the best!!!  How did you figure this out?

Just for the record it does work with Windows 7 x64.

Wow.

I’ve never been more suprised by anything, than by this working. Very nice work, wdgio!

Yep…  wdgio definately gets a Kudo from me.   Even though I wasn’t affected by it,  this is an excellent post.

It was originally posted here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Windows-7-SP1-Breaks-WDTV-Network-Shares/m-p/161782/highlight/true#M6639

Kudos to him, too!