Windows 10 and MACBOOK My Cloud Permissions Issues Resolved

Been many days and multiple hours trying to resolve a Windows10 and MACBOOK access to a subfolder within a Share issue. All of the files were READ only and I was not able to resolve the permissions issues. Tried many ideas on the this Forum and nothing would work. I could only read files, could not delete them. I believe this occurred via inherited attributes when setting up my PR4100.

What I found was I could create a new folder from Windows 10 within a SHARE folder and the permissions were setup correct and I am able to change the attributes.

I copy and pasted all of the files, 100,000 +, to the new folder. Worked Great all is fine and I can change attributes.

Next issue, could not delete the old folder and 100,000+ media files. Once again searched for hours for solutions, tried all of the suggestions and nothing worked.

Unrelated to the issue I was checking something on my iPhone and wondered if I could use the CLOUD app to delete the folders and files. YES! Worked like a charm! Everything deleted, space is showing on the Dashboard as recovered.

Wanted to post this in the hopes it will save someone many, many hours of frustration trying to figure this out.

It seems like it is a MAC specific issue. I would suggest you to create a Share on the My cloud from the Mac computer and then try changing the attributes to find out if it is a issue with the My Cloud. If the issue persists on the Share or on its sub folder then you should contact Apple Support to resolve such issue.

@Trav Wrote:

Been many days and multiple hours trying to resolve a Windows10 and MACBOOK access to a subfolder within a Share issue. All of the files were READ only and I was not able to resolve the permissions issues. Tried many ideas on the this Forum and nothing would work. I could only read files, could not delete them. I believe this occurred via inherited attributes when setting up my PR4100.

What I found was I could create a new folder from Windows 10 within a SHARE folder and the permissions were setup correct and I am able to change the attributes.

I copy and pasted all of the files, 100,000 +, to the new folder. Worked Great all is fine and I can change attributes.

Next issue, could not delete the old folder and 100,000+ media files. Once again searched for hours for solutions, tried all of the suggestions and nothing worked.

Unrelated to the issue I was checking something on my iPhone and wondered if I could use the CLOUD app to delete the folders and files. YES! Worked like a charm! Everything deleted, space is showing on the Dashboard as recovered.

Wanted to post this in the hopes it will save someone many, many hours of frustration trying to figure this out.

Possible Solution:

@Trav I know that there has been a long time for someone to respond to your question. I just joined this forum. I think that your issue lies in the type of file system attributes that you have saved to the MacBook device shared folder where it is mounted within the Apple MacBook system itself. Depending on your current OS, you need to keep internal drives and any external drives at APFS, but your WD NAS needs to be set to a different file system when it reads and writes. You need to determine if your MacBook is using HFS+, ExtFAT32, APFS, or NTFS and if it is encrypted or not. Because you really need to have the shared file attribute in NFTS and not encrypted. Go to the Apple :apple: logo in the upper left of the screen. Then go to Finder > then in the upper menu bar > GO > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility App and that is where you will select the NAS Drive (make sure that it is mounted) and change the file system attributes of the WD NAS. Then you’ll need to be able to add an NTFS read/write program on your Mac, like Paragon or iBoysoft (there are others) because mac, you can read, but you can’t write to NTFS as is. Then go back and adjust the attributes of the actual shared folder that’s directly on your WD NAS to NFTS as well. If that doesn’t work, you may have to use a VM (Virtual Manager) like Parrallels running a Windows 10 instance on the MacBook and then try to access it as an alternative. Let me know if any of that works. Cheers! :clinking_glasses: :nerd_face:

Resources:

1. Article: How to Read/Write on External HDD w/ NTFS Partition

2. NTFS 3g GitHub Repo

3. Video: Tuxera NTFS for MacOS Mohave Tutorial