Will indexing make My Cloud too slow to use with LOTS of photos?

I’m thinking about getting a My Cloud to simplify and consolidate my many backups. However, this would mean storing at least 300,000 photo files (and more in the future). I have read that My Cloud’s indexing feature has made the drive impossibly slow for some people. Are we likely to find that storing so many photos will effectively make it unusable?

Assuming that I add all existing photos in one go then wait for the indexing to finish, what would happen when I then add photos a few hundred or a few thousand at a time?

I have read somewhere that each time the drive is turned on it will start indexing again. does that mean it will take as long to index each time as it did the first time?

I have read that it is possible to turn off indexing by switching off remote access. Although remote access is not as important to me as backup, it would be shame to have a “cloud” device that can’t be accessed through the cloud! Is it possible to specify that only some folders (or “shares”) will be indexed?

Does the problem affect all variants of My Cloud, including My Cloud Ultra Ex 2?

Have you visited the Learning Center, it will provide more information on WD devices.

http://learn.mycloud.com/

This link will provide more information on the My Cloud with links to the User Manuals.

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en

You may want to search for your answers using the Knowledge Base.

Thanks for your reply.

I have had a look at the knowledge base. Searching the knowledge base for “indexing” brings up pages such as Error which confirms that indexing can slow the device down so much that it becomes unusable in some circumstances and My Cloud OS 3: Disable and Enable Indexing and Media Services which confirms that indexing can be disabled, but that also disables remote access

I have also had a look at the manual (for firmware version 02.xx…) but cannot find any mention of indexing.

I have also searched this forum and found other similar questions but have seen nothing that answers my specific questions.

Do you think I might have missed relevant information?

From what I have seen I know that there is a potential problem but not how serious it is likely to be for me. I hope that a member of the community might have experience of indexing very large numbers of photos and might be able to help.