Why no DTS?

I don’t know why I assumed the WD TV Play, at a price point $40 less than the Live, might be a unit equal to if not more advanced than the Live and thus a unit worth replacing my Live with entirely. I suppose it’s my own fault.

No DTS apparently, so half my files are unwatchable. I tells me to “setup digital passthrough” to a DTS capable receiver if I want to hear the sound, which I do, and still no sound, same message appears.

Annoying, albeit less deal-breaking, is that I noticed if I shut the unit down it doesn’t pick up files I’ve watched from where I left off–it begins from the start. Silly.

I’m sure there are more idiotic differences I’d discover over a continued course of use, but I figure I’ll just return it, pretend like it doesn’t exist, and press on with my Live.

I suppose it is as you say, your fault.

File Formats Supported
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T/M2TS (MPEG4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, AVC), WMV9, FLV (AVC)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby TrueHD
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL, M3U8, XML, CUE
Subtitle - SRT, a.s.s, SSA, SUB, SMI, MKV (embedded sub)

I don’t see DTS mentioned there.

Just to let you know it only connects to network drives via media server and not network shares plus It does not support mpeg2 so it will not play DVD images.

1 Like

BTant wrote:

I tells me to “setup digital passthrough” to a DTS capable receiver if I want to hear the sound, which I do, and still no sound, same message appears.

It does pass-through DTS, most likely it’s your setup. 

Also to pass-through DTS you have to either connect the Play to a AVR either via a optical cable or HDMI.

1 Like

I can confirm it does do DTS and DTS-HD MA passthrough, but I had the same message popup the other day after the firmware update, just clicked okay and all works fine. 

I actually bought this unit specifically because unlike the Live this does DTS passthrough, which was worth more to me then being able to connect to network shares.

Actually, all the WDTV Live player pass-through DTS, just not DTS-HD MA.  The Play is the only one that does that.

This Format File support it’s very REBUS.

I have read the full manual of this WD TV Play in Italian in file 4779-705073.pdf downloaded from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=383&type=25

In Format supported it’s been mentionated the MPEG-TS File…this MPEG-TS it’s a MPEG2 file signed it’s not supported… what’s that confusion ???

Otherwise all this MPEG sources it’s been supported by MKV file… i thinks we need only to remux into a mkv using mkv-toolnix… i still only to try it.

I’m buying two week ago this WD TV Play from amazon.it… tonight i can unpack and connect to my TV and initially to TEST all my file :slight_smile:

*EDIT*

The Mpeg-TS file some time have the DTS audio track… and Ac3 audio track. :slight_smile: