What player will you buy next?

I’ve been a WD customer for a long time. Had the WDTV Plus for a couple years, used WDLXTV, switched to WDTV Live SMP which I have now. But my trusty SMP is getting long in the tooth. Performance is not that snappy and the user experience is rapidly becoming eclipsed by younger rivals like the Roku 3. There’s no support for Amazon Prime, and I have to remember to cycle the power after every Youtube Leanback session.

These are minor bumps in an otherwise smooth relationship. The SMP is still the only box that plays nice with Tversity to instantly play a shuffled 20,000+ track music library. The SMP runs circles around other players in terms of media formats. And I like the ability to customize the themes.

I bought a Roku from Costco so I could play with it for a bit and know that I could return it. I tried getting it to play music the way the WDTV Live SMP does. Not great. Browsing the Tversity server and trying to Play All music isn’t usable. Going by way of Plex is not intuitive as they don’t support “Play All” yet (although it can be done in a workaround). Roku is great for video, and my MKV collection plays through Plex. ISO support is nonexistent. Music and picture browsing **bleep**. Roku isn’t a DLNA device so I cannot really call this apples to apples. It’s going back to the store.

So I’m trying to figure out what my next box will be. All I really want is my WDTV Live SMP with Amazon Prime and enough performance to handle Youtube and other apps without getting bogged down. If WD is not going to support Netflix going forward that is a deal breaker. So Dlink? Popcorn Hour? Anybody else thought about it?

I have had a WD SMP Live in my bedroom for several years and have been very happy with it.  When I recently decided it was finally time to replace my ancient Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV in my home theater room, I faced the same question you posed.

I looked long and hard at several alternatives, especially due to the factor you mentioned that newer WDTV hardware does not support Netflix. 

• Roku 3 was a front runner, but I was put off by the severe limitations on playing local content (via Plex or Media Player Channel).  Also, I had trepidation about buying this late in Roku 3 life cycle (4 about to come out?)
  • Fire TV seems exciting, with its robust hardware specs, but, alas, similar limitations on local playback, and limited channel support right now.
  • Apple TV - does not work for ISO, MKV, etc.  Terrible for local playback unless you are 100% iTunes compatible.
  • Raspberry Pi - too much hassle.
  • All other choices, including Netgear, were not well reviewed and had similar limitations and did not emerge as contenders.

After all my review reading and research, I concluded that my best solution was to buy the same unit I had in the bedroom – a factory new (but discontinued) WDTV SMP (i.e. last model they made supporting Netflix) – purchased from Amazon through a third party reseller.

Ultimately, I think if you want robust local playback and robust channel support, you are probably looking at 2 or more devices and not a single solution.

horizons1 wrote:

There’s no support for Amazon Prime, and I have to remember to cycle the power after every Youtube Leanback session.

Do you actually pull the plug or is putting the player into deep standby sufficient to get it working again?

Considering my next player: I guess I’ll wait for Android to support autoframe.

Techflaws wrote:

Do you actually pull the plug or is putting the player into deep standby sufficient to get it working again?

Considering my next player: I guess I’ll wait for Android to support autoframe.

For me I have found that after extended Leanback viewing the device can be so unresponsive (or just so laggy) that a power cycle via the plug is the easiest recovery. Not saying it’s the only way and certainly open to suggestions.

Regarding Android, I tried the Minix NEO X-8 H because I was attracted to the built-in hardware support for Dolby DTS decoding (by the Amlogic CPU.) Oh, and it streams 4k like butter. Well, what I didn’t realize is thay only Chromecast devices support Dolby Digital for Netflix in Android. All others are stuck with stereo in the basic Android Netflix app. No! That aside, I would’ve been willing to use the Minix version of XBMC for managing my local network content.

I should also mention I toyed with the idea of building a dedicated HTPC but that seems like overkill.

Ponce918 wrote:

Ultimately, I think if you want robust local playback and robust channel support, you are probably looking at 2 or more devices and not a single solution.

I have the wife to consider in this change. I’d like the next solution to be the same or better, two devices would be a usability concern. However you make a good point. Blu Ray players pretty much all include Netflix which may be WD’s reasoning behind not making Netflix a requirement for their new devices (why pay the license for something people probably already have?) For me, that would mean using the XBox for Netflix and a new device for local content. Or using Media Center Extender in Xbox which means an upgrade of my server. Oh the combination choices make my head spin!

and many smart TVs also include Netflix, both of mine do and they are 2 years old, not that I use it but its there…

I’ll be watching this post too because I’ve been studying this topic now for 6 months and it seems that nobody makes a device like the WDTV Live (in regards to local HDD content). I need a device that can stream local content from my HDD to my Tv. I need it to work as simply as a stand alone Blu-ray/DVD palyer (for sake of the wife & Kids). The WDTV Live is almost perfect at this task!

If it could handle multiple large drives and eliminate the performance problems, it would absolutely be an awesome device! I’ve been reading-up on every device I come across but still no luck! I hope that someone can recommend a device that works well. I’d pay good money to have a device that could stream local content from my HDD’s to my Tv (if it worked simply and well). I’ve looked into XBMC but it seems to complex for my basic family operation (7yr old and up).

Anybody can click on a movie cover and click play - WDTV Live style. But, the problem is that the WDTV Live fails to work reliably at all times. The other devices don’t seem to focus on HDD to TV streaming except through networking XBMC situations. They aren’t simple to understand for most non-computer people. Therefore I’ll piggy-back the question too. Any leads will be appreciated!

You guys ever see this device?

http://www.amazon.com/SkyStreamX-Quad-Core-Android-Box/dp/B00M03ULH2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t#productDetails

I have no experience with it but it looks interesting. One thing that holds me back from trying it is that I need composite video out. Their old/previous model has it but their current 4-core box no longer does. I hate to buy the “old” & can’t afford to update my TVs.

@ibantu: I didn’t catch whether you have a computer and network available. Did you ever think of attaching your  HDD to a computer and using something like Serviio? I’ve played around a lot with Serviio playing via my WD boxes and it seems stable and should play to anything that can connect to a DLNA server.  I have not had it interfere with anything else running on my PC.

Glad to find so much kinship on this topic. 

ibantu, you have multiple external USB drives? You could consider a NAS or an always-on PC to act as a server for your media. I do the latter and it works well. And I agree with you: a TV-like GUI is key to a device the family can use. When connected BluRay devices first came out I tried three (I really make Costco work for me) and none were as intuitive as what I already had with the WDTV.

In case anyone finds this useful, here is how I have things set up:

Cheap small form factor quiet always on PC with 2TB HDD running two media servers: TVersity and PlayOn. On the WDTV Live SMP:

1. I briefly mapped Videos to my movie folder on the PC, then created a Favorite and put it in the WD’s dashboard. I now have a quick menu item in the dashboard to get to my movie library.

2. I then re-mapped the Videos menu to PlayOn for viewing Hulu et al.

3. Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube are also in the dashboard (you can tell I didn’t upgrade to the latest WD firmware woth the grid UI as I made too many customizations to the mochi theme.)

4. For the Music menu I mapped to TVersity. Three clicks to the All item, press Play and it starts playing my entire collection, shuffled. I can also easily play a specific album or track, of course. Oh, and search works too.

5. Photos also points to TVersity.

6. For my home movies I need to navigate via the Files menu but this is the least used path.

I’ll keep tinkering with other devices and post my observations. Hope others can do the same and together we’ll find something great.

martinmarty wrote:

You guys ever see this device?

http://www.amazon.com/SkyStreamX-Quad-Core-Android-Box/dp/B00M03ULH2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t#productDetails

I have no experience with it but it looks interesting. One thing that holds me back from trying it is that I need composite video out. Their old/previous model has it but their current 4-core box no longer does. I hate to buy the “old” & can’t afford to update my TVs.

@ibantu: I didn’t catch whether you have a computer and network available. Did you ever think of attaching your  HDD to a computer and using something like Serviio? I’ve played around a lot with Serviio playing via my WD boxes and it seems stable and should play to anything that can connect to a DLNA server.  I have not had it interfere with anything else running on my PC.

That’s going to have the same limitation as my Minix NEO: Netflix is not in Dolby Digital.

You had the same suggestion as me for ibantu. I’ve never tried Servilo but it sounds good.

Also, I did a quick check on Monoprice to see if there is a cheap solution to downgrade HDMI to composite. I didn’t see any but I imagine a solution exists. Sounds like you need an HDMI splitter so you get both HDMI passthrough and composite out.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! I have high speed internet and a pretty good home network. My problem is that I need something that requires zero troubleshooting ability.  My family (though not stupid) are not “techy” type people and would probably mess-up any situation requiring computer skills beyond surfing the web.  That’s why the WDTV Live SMP format is so appealing to me.

I will study up on the system that you guys recommended and see if it is a workable solution.  The biggest problem is that even when I find a different method, I don’t know the “in’s & out’s” needed to make it work.  Things like equipment needed, HDD types, and configuration set-up for each TV, and so on. I have a ROKU 3. But, the XBMC set-up was too much headache and the ROKU doesn’t see a USB drive attached to it’s USB port (as far as I can tell). I assume that a dedicated computer is required or a cloud drive of some sort is needed in order to make it work?

My 7yr old daughter has every Disney movie ever made and she understands the simple “click & play” operation of the WD TV Live (but for all I know she can probably work as a programer for NASA - kids today!). I was was hoping to keep it bullet proof and easy for anyone to intuitively operate. Thanks for the help and please keep the suggestions coming. You guys have a lot of knowledge and I personally appreciate your help!

Check out the free version here: http://serviio.org/

I think you’ll like it for the application you described because all the parts requiring any computer know-how (which isn’t much) will be performed by you, then your family will access the content from WD TV Live like they are already used to. The basic steps are:

1. Install Serviio on PC
  2. Connect your media drive to PC
  3. Tell Serviio to index the content on that drive (open Serviio console and go to Library tab and add your drive - may want to force a manual refresh the first time)
  4. Get on your WD TV and go to Videos, select content source, Media Server
  5. You should see your Serviio server, select it and you should see your videos

One thing I think is really cool is that it indexes the content a bunch of different ways. Like after it found and indexed my content, I can go in and look for things by tltle, genre or even a specific actor.

You may have to do a little monkeying around to get it to find and index the content on your drive the first time but shouldn’t be too much. Mine was a little extra hassle because the content is on a network share, but with a drive directly hooked up to the computer it should be straightforward.

Serviio can also do transcoding so it may be possible to get your WD TV Live to play content that it could not handle natively.

Have fun.

martin, from what you describe tversity works exactly the same way so there are a few choices on the server front.

ibantu, I used the Roku3’s Media Player channel to select content from tversity. It should also allow you to select a connected USB drive.

Wow, that seems simple! I’ve been reading up on this stuff and I do understand it…I think. I have a 2006 macbook pro that I could use to manage the USB drives. My USB drives are Mac formatted. It sounds like the options that you all suggest work very similar to Plex.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m understanding that I can still use my WD TV Live SMP boxes to access the Macbook pro/USB drives over the network. Will the menu still display as on the normal WD TV Live SMP to USB drive hook-up or will it appear as something different? 

I assume that if all the TV’s have a device that have XBMC, Servio, Plex or etc software on it - that this would provide the media control interface panel for accessing my movie drives. I’ve never seen any media apps on WD and the ROKU has Plex but not an XBMC app. I’m hoping to have the same interface at each TV. Also I’ve been looking at the Android devices too, but none of them seem dedicated to streaming movies directly from attached USB drives. They seem to be jack of all trades and master of none.

I may sound stupid but these are the issues that I have to iron out.  I have to know which devices to tie into the network so that there is consistency at each TV in my home (four of them). Will the WD TV Live SMP still display as if the USB drives are still connected to them?  Will the metadata info and all the other nice stuff be gone? Thanks guys!!!

ibantu wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m understanding that I can still use my WD TV Live SMP boxes to access the Macbook pro/USB drives over the network. Will the menu still display as on the normal WD TV Live SMP to USB drive hook-up or will it appear as something different? 

It’ll look the same. You want to turn the Media Libary function on. Then when you go to the VIDEOS menu hit the red button and select either a local USB drive or a shared network drive. Either way, you browse the folders the same way and Media Library will automatically index the contents.

The difference is when you select a media server from the red button. The resulting options are driven by the server. For instance, in Tversity’s music category I have “folders” for All, Genre, Artist, Album, Year, etc. Like I was saying before, I can just press Play on the All folder and it plays every track (way easier than creating playlists.) There is also a Folders option in Tversity to browse the files directly preserving the same folder structure as the actual scanned drive. Plex is similar, although it doesn’t have the aforementioned All folder.

ibantu wrote:

I assume that if all the TV’s have a device that have XBMC, Servio, Plex or etc software on it - that this would provide the media control interface panel for accessing my movie drives. I’ve never seen any media apps on WD and the ROKU has Plex but not an XBMC app. I’m hoping to have the same interface at each TV. Also I’ve been looking at the Android devices too, but none of them seem dedicated to streaming movies directly from attached USB drives. They seem to be jack of all trades and master of none.

When we talk about “media servers” we mean software that runs on a PC where your media is stored. Instead of browsing to the folder on the shared drive via the WDTV’s FILES menu (tedious) a media server software app sorts and indexes all your stuff. It is similar to what WDTV does when it scans your USB HDD, but faster and with more flexibility. Note, the Media Library index will still happen - the WDTV light will blink while that is going on. The difference is in the options you are presented with for selecting and working with your content.

ibantu wrote:

I may sound stupid but these are the issues that I have to iron out.  I have to know which devices to tie into the network so that there is consistency at each TV in my home (four of them). Will the WD TV Live SMP still display as if the USB drives are still connected to them?  Will the metadata info and all the other nice stuff be gone? Thanks guys!!!

Not stupid at all. We all asked ourselves these same questions and pretty much learned either by reading these boards or by experimentation. So this last question is: can you have shared drives on a media server and physically-attached USB HDD’s coexist and accessible on the same WDTV? I don’t think you’d want to do that. Why? First, you can only choose one source at a time from the red button. You could try creating favorites like I did for movies, but not sure if that works with local USB drives. Second, the way Media Library on the WDTV handles local USB content vs media server content is different. Switching between the two would require waiting while the dang thing re-indexes.

That said, if you are asking if your media can be accessed by multiple WDTV’s simultaneously, that is the magic of a media server setup. YES! Imagine, all your movies and music sitting on a hard drive on a PC in your home office. Then multiple WDTV’s throughout your home all accessing that content as desired. Limited only by network bandwidth and the speed of your dedicated server PC. But in most cases it’s no problem. That’s a good reason right there not to be tethered to USB drives hanging off the side of your WDTV.

I’ve gone the other direction – I’m using my TV’s smart apps for most online stuff now, and occasionally the Roku if I just have to have something else.

For all local media, I’m now using an Asus Chromebox running OpenELEC/XBMC.

Those were great explainations and very expertly presented. I’m studying what’s been said. I will use a macbook pro (or Mac Desktop) to manage my usb drives and use the WD TV Live SMP boxes to access the network for now.  I’m considering using apps on my smart TV’s to access the macbook pro & HDD drives as an alternative.

As a test I used plex running on the Macbook pro and it took all night to index one of my 3TB HDD. I did it wrong because I kept the HDD drive connected to the WD and scanned it from the macbook pro (oops!). When it finished, the wonderful organization that I had on my drive was a big mess in Plex. I selected folder view in Plex and most of the files were missing covers and metadata.  I use standard file names for all of the movies “name (year),” but most were missing metadata…even though the files contained all the info that the WD uses (.jpeg, m4v, metathumb, html). Also, the movie extras (that I’ve spent hours assigning jpeg images to) did not show their associated .jpeg files of the same name. The extras don’t have metathumbs or html data, so Plex finds nothing to associate with these files. Not surprisingly - the files would not play from the WD connected drives on the computer, but it could see them to index them.

If the WD still recognizes content formatted for it’s own use over the network, and everything still looks the same, I will use that setup as my solution for now. If I can find out which software works the best (Plex, XBMC/Kodi, Tversity, etc) and if I can learn to setup the software in a manner that provides great organization (folders with metadata, images) I will switch to the better software.

I’ve copied down your instructions and will test software for the best option. This is what I understand so far:

(1) I may use the WD TV Live to connect to my drives that are attached to a computer on the network; (2) I can run software apps on my smart TV’s that can access the connected HDD’s over the network; (3) I can use alternate devices like the ROKU 3 at each tv and use their media apps to access the network.  Each method requires that the HDD’s be connected to a constantly powered “on” computer.  The organization of the data will be dependant upon the abilities of the software in use.

If I misunderstood something please clarify.  Again, I greatly appreciate the help. Thank you very much!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’ve gone the other direction – I’m using my TV’s smart apps for most online stuff now, and occasionally the Roku if I just have to have something else.

For all local media, I’m now using an Asus Chromebox running OpenELEC/XBMC.

If my TVs were smart I’d be doing that too. I’m the only guy I know with an HDMI to black & white adapter… :dizzy_face:

ibantu wrote:

If I misunderstood something please clarify.  Again, I greatly appreciate the help. Thank you very much!

You understand.

I don’t have a Mac but there’s a Mac version of Serviio. My WIndows Serviio finds all the metadata on the Internet automatically and I bet the Mac version does the same. I have a 3TB NAS and I don’t recall how long it took to scan about 1TB of data consisting of about 1K movies, but it was a lot faster than all night, though it sounds like you created an ugly situation for the software.

One thing: Once you have [whatever] media server set up on your Mac, with smart TVs available, I don’t really see where the WD box will be adding anything for you. The only reason I use them is because my TVs are old and don’t have any “smart” capabilities.

I’m using the WD because I like the simplicity of it’s display and the ease in organizing my folder content.  I like having the ability to create images for movie extras and home video. So far I’ve not been able to duplicate this capability with Plex (I haven’t tested any of the other software yet). When Plex sees my home video or movie extra features, it can’t go on the internet and assign metadata because there is none, so I end up with a grey box and a title. If you’ve solved how to do these task manually (as you can with the WD) please let me know which software, app, or device that you’re using. Thanks a bunch!