What do do with old 3 TB MyCloud Drive

I am replacing with new Synology NAS. It has a lot of stuff on it, including Time Machine Backups.

My question is what do I do with it after I get all that data off assuming I can.

And if I can’t get the data off in a timely way same question?

It can not be used as an External drive via ethernet, or reformatted for iMac’s, so what to do with it.

Not sure where to put it, no more router Ethernet ports, I have used them all.

It is too bad Western Digital did not have an upgrade service to save their customers by letting them send back their units, move the data for them to a new Western Digital NAS.

Comments???

1 Like

Do what ever you want with it. You are overthinking things. If your router’s/gateway’s networking ports are all occupied then just buy a gigabit network switch to expand the available networking ports on your local network. Connect the gigabit network switch to one of the router’s networking ports and can add more network clients to the local network by connecting them to the network gigabit switch. 5 port or 8 port (or more) gigabit network switches can typically be found for a relatively low cost in local stores or online retailers.

Plenty of things one can do with a My Cloud unit after moving to a larger/better NAS.

• You can continue to use it as a backup NAS.
  • You can continue to use it as a backup target for your local network computers or even the local network Synology NAS.
  • You can throw it in the trash (recycle it).
  • You can extract the internal My Cloud hard drive and use it (after repartitioning and reformatting) in another computer by using a spare SATA port on the comptuer or in a USB to SATA enclosure/dock.
  • You can sell or give it to someone else.
  • If you have a summer/secondary home, take the My Cloud there and you have a NAS/media server available in that location.

Plenty of options.

Not sure why you cannot get the data of the My Cloud in a timely fashion. As explained in your other thread one can use rsync to copy the data from the My Cloud to another NAS. Or one can use Mac Finder/Windows File Explorer to copy the data (at a likely slower rate) to another NAS or hard drive. One could even remove the My Cloud hard drive, connect it to a computer running Linux (or running Linux drivers) and copy the data from the drive to another location.

Get an unmanaged 4 or 8 port switch and connect it to your router. Then plug in the MyCloud and you can use it as a local network storage drive.