We want the shared folders to be visible in the desktop app!

Bring back Family share for the desktop Application!

4 Likes

WD - without the shared folder in the desktop app or as a map-able drive, I have lost 2/3 of my functionality. I could use any other online storage system if that was what I wanted

4 Likes

Sick to my stomach that we do not have access to shared files via desktop. That is the EXACT reason we bought it for our nonprofit organization. Such a HUGE waste of money at this point. Hopefully WD will make the change.

3 Likes

Yes please, can we have back one of the reasons why many of us bought this drive? Or is it possible to return it and have our money back?

2 Likes

It is obvious that WD doesn’t know what they are doing and I am now thinking of some kind of legal action - in my mind there are two key reasons for having the My Cloud Home device - 1) to backup data and 2) to share data with family - the sharing with family is critical - how they can take this key function away is beyond me - oh yeah they will tell you that access can be done with the web page or the mobile apps - but that is not the point - the desktop functionality is what we want - what we need - what we demand - I am retired VP of IT for a major technological university and if my team ever removed key functionality like these clowns did some someone would have been fired - Western Digital - this is your last chance - put the family share back into the desktop app - NOW

5 Likes

Has this been resolved? I am considering buying My Cloud Home for back-up and sharing with family and this is one of the key features I need.

If I could, I would return this ■■■■ WD My Cloud Home and walk away. So disappointed with the software and support.

1 Like

I only set up My Cloud two days ago, was disappointed like others to see the Family folder gone, but I have found that WD provides a way to create what is effectively the same thing.

We’re a Mac household, but I think this works the same for Windows.

In the My Cloud web browser interface, create a folder. Call it “Family” if you want. Doesn’t matter which user creates it. Then simply click the option to share that folder and invite other family members, by email, to “Collaborate” – read and write – in that folder. After they accept the invitation, they can get into the folder. This requires each family member to register as a user of the device (if they have their own computers or mobile devices they’ll be using to access the My Cloud).

For others to see and use that shared folder . . .

On a Mac, you use WD Discovery (which has replaced Desktop App) to put icons for My Cloud volumes and shared folders on your desktop. WD Discovery gets added to the menu bar across the top of your screen. Clicking on the WD icon opens the WD Discovery window. Across the top are clickable choices for Storage, Apps and Shared.

• Storage shows you your own connected devices and volumes. Your home’s My Cloud will appear there. Clicking to open it reveals folders and files in your private space on the My Cloud and puts an icon for it on the desktop (on a Mac, anyway).

• Apps gives you links to download utilities from WD.

• Shared shows you folders that others have made shareable, such as the one I described above. Clicking on it will put an icon for it on your desktop as if were a drive or volume. Again, that’s what happens on a Mac, but I assume it’s similar in Windows. On a Mac, the shared folder will also appear in the “Sidebar” at the left of every Finder window.

You can drag and drop into and out of any My Cloud folder or volume that appears on your desktop just as you would any other folder or volume.

Take Note: It appears to me that you can only see, mount or work with one shared folder from another person on your computer at a time. If all you want to do is create a substitute for the Family folder, that shouldn’t be an issue. Through the browser interface, you can get to all folders that have been shared with you.

A lot that I bought this device to do seems not to work, but I believe that what I’ve described accomplishes what people probably want to do with a Family folder.

Good luck.

1 Like

No, virtually no issue has been ever resolved for WD MyCloud Home. Stay away from this device. it’s a trap. Like 200$ overpriced flashdisk trap.

3 Likes

This post (not the only one) but is one of the best as this poster outlines pretty much common sense things that are wrong. WHO at WD thought that removing the NAS functionality of this device was what the owner of device wanted or needed. whoever it was get up & walk away - the device is no longer a real NAS and not fit for purpose

1 Like

Heeeey Mr. Western Digital.
A year ago you disappointed all your “My Cloud Home” customers by taking away the few NAS functionality that this NAS device had. To leave it as a simple hard drive. How difficult is it to accept your mistake and return such a basic utility to us?

Without more to say, hoping you have an excellent day and that you regret and accept your mistakes, with love a former client of yours

1 Like

As a final update, please know that I gave up and returned the WD My Cloud Home to the retailer for full refund. I’ve removed as many traces of WD software from my Mac that I can find.

I have bought and installed a true NAS: Buffalo Linkstation 210. 4TB. Should be enough for my wife and I to use for backup and a central repository for all our photos. If we fill it up, I believe I can extend capacity with an attached USB.

Among the several reasons I got rid of the My Cloud is that it did not work Acronis True Image, which I was interested in using as our backup solution. So far, the Buffalo Linkstation is handling backup. Acronis is backing up to it every night and once a week to the cloud. Photo storage will be ongoing as we get to it.

My only regret is that the retailer where I bought the WD did not also sell the Linkstation 210, so I had to take a refund instead of do an exchange and give them the repeat business.

As a former My Cloud user, I’m out of here. Good luck, everybody.

1 Like

Funny I sent mine back after about 24hrs to PC World it’s not a NAS it’s a glorified usb drive that you have less control over than the tories & Covid19

Guys, just my recent experience here.
I might repeat already known info, but being summed up this way, it might be beneficial to some owners of My Cloud Home.

I use Windows 10 (1909) and my friend/team mate/business partner/whateverelse updated to Catalina 10.15.6. We both installed WD Discovery. I got My Cloud Home just a few days ago so i didn’t have to experience sudden frustration regarding removal of Family folder from Desktop app and not being able to see Shared folders in Desktop app either
 and it’s true, even if i set Share-Invite to Collaborate for the specific folder in web interface, whole My Cloud Home drive was just not appearing in her Finder at all, but of course it was fine via web interface but you cannot work like that with bigger and deeper folder structures. (Moreover, at the time of writing this post, after hitting “Select All”, it’s possible to download only files BUT if there is any folder present as well, a Download option doesn’t pop up. (?? :smiley: ) )

So she completely uninstalled WD Discovery from her iMac via 3rd party app that removes files leftovers, as i didn’t find any way how to simply log out from WD Discovery (???). After that she installed it again, but this time we tried to log in with the same credentials as me-device owner (i changed my personal password before that), and everything worked how it should, My Cloud Home became visible in her Finder and we both have the same rights and device can now be used properly how it always should.

This is obviously not a solution for companies (though they could block access to home.mycloud.com for all computers) and people you don’t personally trust that much, but if you do, the only way how to currently use this device is for everybody to login as device owners in their WD Discovery app. This might be only for families or small close circles of trustworthy friends that will not mess with My Cloud Home settings in web interface.

I will see how my next experience is going to be, it’s not a bad device, i love its design and LED btw. (except the loud HDD and missing power button on a single drive version) but listening to major users’s needs in this case is far more critical than “few” personal opinions in i believe a great WD team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Ace84,

Welcome!

We are many frustrated about the ongoing limited capabilities of the MCH.

However, after the removal of the shared folder feature, we managed to have WD reconsidering the issue. Third party should be able to see the shared folders in the third tab in the WD Discovery app, which allow to mount shared folders as a separate remote volume. It is not as convenient as the first implementation but it is better than nothing.

Hope this helps.

Hope WD improves the MCH which has very capable hardware.

1 Like

Many thanks :slight_smile:
Ah alright, thanks for letting me/us know, better than nothing indeed.

Yes please need this come on WD people have been asking for this for years.

1 Like

Any resolution to this limitation?
I don’t understand why Collaborator can’t upload their files via the Desktop App

Bring back Family share for the desktop Application!

This was resolved in March of 2020, unfortunately many threads are not marked and referenced as resolved or posters do not spend very much time reading them.