WDTV not showing thumbnails over network. Please help!

Hey everyone,

I have a ton of home movies that are in mkv format on my external hard drive.  I have each video folder set up with a thumbnail as well and everything is labeled the same.  For example:

Folder

Folder.jpeg

Folder.mkv

When I plug my hard drive directly into my WDTV player all is well.  the jpeg shows up as the thumbnail poster.  

Now i just plugged that hard drive into my Netgear WNDR3400 so I could acess the movies over my network.  Now when all the movies load i get no thumbnail picture for the folder it just shows the movie real.  When i click the folder it opens and shows the jpeg picture and the movie with a picture.  How do i get the thumbnail to show up over a network?

How are you connecting to your files, Media Server or Network Shares? If you are using Media Server, it will not show the thumbnails.

I click on the network shares on the wdtv

Just wondering on your names you list above, that doesn’t look correct.

WITHIN the folder, you should have: 

– folder.jpg

– moviename.mkv

– moviename.jpg

All your examples above are mismatched with a name “folder?”

Let me make it clearer for you with a movie title.  Lets use The Dark Night for example. 

I have it set up as follows:

The folder is named: The Dark Knight

When you double click and open the folder you have

The Dark Knight.mkv

The Dark Knight.jped

When hardwired into my WDTV everything is good and i see the movie poster as the thumbnail.

Is that not the proper way when going over a network?

I would COPY this file:   “The Dark Knight.jpg” to this file “folder.jpg”

and see if that changes anything.

COPY the file.  Don’t rename it.

Im a little confused isant that the way I have it set up?  With the folder labeled the way it is below, and when you open the folder the items are labeled below in the pictures.  I have included 2 picture this time to show you.  (I am aware the video file says avi I was just using it as an example)

Because of your low post-count, we have to wait until a moderator approves your pics before anyone can see them.

Post them to ImageShack.

As I said before, you need to have a “folder.jpg” file.  With that exact name.

You already have a “moviename.jpg.”   Just copy it to another jpg called “folder.jpg”

Im an ■■■■■ I finally understood what you meant and that fixed the problem.  Thanks!!!