Video thumbnail help please

Hi, ok I have a movie folder with just the movie files in it. Some movies are in their own folders. I have renamed the jpg to folder.jpg but the picture still doesn’t get displayed. I am guessing because each movie file has to have its own folder.jpg, all movies have to be in their own folder?

Yes I experience this exact same thing. When you have a folders within a folder, you cannot display the jpeg image on the master folder. Hopefully we get an update for this in the future :slight_smile:

I’ve just watched a movie and browsed back to the root movie folders and the number of pictures I added to the individual folders are now showing. Are the pictures supposed to fill each box or just across the middle? They could do with filling the box as they are a little small.

For your player to show the jpg of the movie it has to be in the same folder as the movie and have the same exact name. For example: Old dogs.mkv or .avi or whatever the format of your movie and Old dogs.JPG

SEP555 wrote:

I’ve just watched a movie and browsed back to the root movie folders and the number of pictures I added to the individual folders are now showing. Are the pictures supposed to fill each box or just across the middle? They could do with filling the box as they are a little small.

Your thumbnails must the wrong size/aspect ratio.  The WDTV cannot stretch them to fit (that would look silly) so they need to be either 180x120 resolution or any size with an aspect ratio of 3:2

What works for me is to put all movies in the same folder. For every movie, there’s a jpeg of the movie cover or poster with the EXACT same name. Sizes range from 400:600 to 800:1200. If you want the thumbnail for the folder, you name the file “folder.jpg”. If you want the thumbnail for the video “WXYZ.avi”, you name the picture “WXYZ.jpg”.

Not sure I see the point in putting every video in its own folder.

yup i thought they were to be called folder.jpg but they can be the movie name. Still would be better to embed the pic in the movie file so you dont have hundreds of pic files