WD102PURZ not seen/recognized by the x570 motherboard

Hi there… I used a few wd purple drives in my main “workstation” pc before 4tb and 6tb both and I was really happy with them… The last few months I needed more space in this particular pc and I decided to buy a couple 10tb wd purple since I used the purple series in desktop without a problem… But I had faced the most unexpected consequence ever and I really can’t use them on my x570 gigabyte aorus pro mobo since even the bios/SATA controller of it doesn’t recognize them at all… I also have recently bought two 14tb ultrastar drives and it makes no sense to me that I can’t use the purples while I can use larger and smaller hdds, even one 10tb red NAS drive…

got to mention that while I try to connect the drive with a USB sata dock, the pc sees them fine, it’s only for the internal sata power/data/controllers that go blind as I connect them.

Any solution? thanks…

Hi @GraphicallyFIT,

Please refer to the following articles for accessing the Disk Management in Windows and Disk Utility on macOS:

Windows OS: Access and Use Disk Management Tools on Windows
Mac OS: How to Access and Use the macOS Disk Utility

A WD Purple is a surveillance drive, with that we want to verify the drive itself is working and free from defects. We would suggest installing the drive in a Windows computer as a secondary drive and testing using WD Dashboard.

Title: Western Digital Dashboard
Link: Install Western Digital Dashboard for Drive Performance Monitoring

Hey Keerti, thanks for the answer, but;

I really don’t want to make a fuss about it but I already tried disk management, they both did not shown themselves in disk management like they did (not shown) in the bios itself, the sata connector or the psu cables are OK as I can connect other drives I mentioned above to them without a fault… but these drives are like tending to hide themselves from my PCs as I already tried them in another (older) pc of mine… It was also amd x570 with a different (msi) bios, results all the same, I can’t get to work it out no matter how many times I try… But they shown when I connect them using my USB sata docking station… It’s the strangest thing ever happened to me about HDDs since I started to use them in my childhood long ago… this is definitely a first…

With my knowledge I could only think about the firmware of the purple hdds doing this but I couldn’t find a way to fix or update them…

I believe the best HDD maker is WD by all means and I’d continue to buy them in need but right now I really hope to hear a more appropriate “working” solution… Otherwise it’ll be like I’m being forced to use them “externally”…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.