WD Purple Internal Drive exported to PC?

I called funflux the company I bought my system from, they said take the hard drive out and copy the images to my PC. I took the unit to BestBuy and they called back to say they couldn’t recover anything from it? They sold me a SATA to USB cable, thinking I could hook it up and get it myself, but of course that didn’t work. How can I get the data from the internal 2 .0 TB SATA/64MB Cache WD20PURX onto my PC? is there a cable from SATA to usb that will power the WD internal drive and allow me search/copy and paste to my PC?

Thanks for any help.

Wallace

It’s the same as any other hard drive – just an ordinary SATA drive. My guess is that your drive’s formatting is not a type your PC is natively supporting.

More detail would be helpful.

Thanks Tony. I’m not sure what details you need but the sata cable I bought reads Notebook drive upgrade kit from Apricorn. It has the SATA wire 3…0 and comes with a disc EZ Gig cloning. It was the only SATA cable they had. I’m running windows 10 OS on a Lenovo laptop 110. I also tried with my other laptop running windows 7 on a dell. The hard drive reads WD Purple WD20PURX and came out of a funlux surveillance 16 camera system.

I will try and get a different cable or would take it to a different PC if that will help

Oh. I don’t think that’s going to work without a separate power supply.

3.5" disks draw too much power for USB to power them.

You’ll need a 3.5"-drive compatible dock.

Hi Wallace,

i am sure that you have solved this by now but I will still throw this out there, I have a 4TB Purple that I used inside a server because it was offered to me new and super cheap. I also have had to take it out of the server to back up my Seagate Backup plus Hub that had a problem which I just got replacement for today. I have a powered Thermaltake 2 bay USB 3.0 unit that works great with either 3.5 or 2.5 SATA disks. I got this unit at Best Buy on special $40. Have not had it ever burp up on me. If you still have the problem, hope that this solves it for you.

DL

Yes, I love my Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter. Can be purchased just about anywhere online.