WD102KRYZ 10TB Gold Hard Disk Drive 100% Active Time, Zero Data

I have a brand new Western Digital Internal 10TB Gold Hard Disk Drive (WD102KRYZ ) which is intermittently failing, whilst showing 100% Active Time and Zero Data transfer in Windows Task Manager.

Please can you advise whether this is a hardware fault, or a firmware issue that you may be able to resolve?

Disks can do that for several reasons such as the controller checking sectors that may be damaged and in need of replacement. All disks do that and there is nothing to be concerned about.

If you are concerned, erase the disk with WD lifeguard which will allow the disk to cleanup bad sectors etc

Thank you for your effort, however, unfortunately in my case the disk shows no errors on a first ‘Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows’ extended test, or on multiple quick tests. I don’t believe erasing this brand new disk with no reported physical errors will help in my case.

The issue is definitely something to be concerned about, as whilst it is happening, which can be seen when it shows 100% Active Time and Zero Data transfer in Windows Task Manager, it is unusable as it is extremely slow to even access and intermittently disappears from Windows 10 completely! So I would say it is not so much a concern, but rather a problem where the disk is not useable or reliable.

The SATA controller, cables and ports have been tested and confirmed as working.

I have found erasing the disk has worked with both WD and Seagate disks. Both have the same problems and with a large population of disks I have discovered erasing disks recovers them 9 times out of 10. If that does not work then I RMA disks under warranty.

1 Like

Ok, I understand now, I will monitor and try your suggestion if the issue re-occurs. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I suggest monitoring erased disks with Crystal Disk Reports to be sure they are healthy

1 Like

After another intermittent occurrence of the issue, I am currently performing a Full Erase (Estimated to take 12hours 40minutes) of the affected disk using the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics Tool. Please can you confirm this is what you do, or is a Quick Erase sufficient in your experience?

I always do the full erase which affords a hard disk the opportunity to replace bad sectors.

I found it able to resurrect several disks showing errors.

Thank you again. I am surprised this is what is needed with a brand new disk which is not reporting any errors. I have completed the Full Erase now and will use it normally again and monitor the disk for a week or two, to see if the issue is now resolved.

Check the disk health with Crystal Disk Report which can alert you to the need for fixing the disk again etc

That’s the thing. Crystal Disk Info, which I presume is what everyone means when they talk about Crystal Disk Report, reports zero problems when the disk is responding normally and appears to look at S.M.A.R.T values which are all good in my case. It does obviously show the disk is absent when the issue occurs, but that is because, like the system it cannot read the disk of course.

Make sure you are using the clip type SATA cables which tend to stay put better. Cables are cheap so get a handful so that if the disk is problematic then swap cables.